Pickup Suggestions for a SL2H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestions for a SL2H?

I have a Soloist on the way and would like to try a least a different bridge pickup. I have three SL1's with the stock JB bridge pickup and one SL2H that has a Full Shred bridge pickup. I did a show last night with one SL1 and the SL2H and was not very happy with either pickup. I am looking for something different for the new/used guitar. The guitar is an alder body with flamed maple top. I have looked through the DiMarzio and Dunk sites and they always seem to point me to a super distortion or tone zone.

Just curious what you guys have been using in your Soloist?

Thanks!
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Super Distortion or Tone Zone. Why fight what works.

I used to be ho-hum on EMG's but I have to admit, they work too.

Also throw in the Custom into the bin of pickups that just work.

Comment

I thought about EMGs. I believe I have an 81 & 85 along with pots. Also, thanks for bringing up the Custom (or maybe Custom/Custom), I have wanted to try one.

Comment

Tone Zone or D' Activator are good in that guitar. I tried a bunch of different pups as I hated the JB/59 that was in mine. Way to muddy. I think a bare Knuckle Nailbomb would work well too. EMGs if you want active...the SL2Hs are fickle guitars and to me the hardest to nail down a great tone.
        "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
        ENGL Powerball II
        Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
        Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
        Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
        1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
        1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
        2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
        2011 Jackson DK2M Black
        1987 Charvel Model 2 White
        2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
        1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
        1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
        2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
        2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
        2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
        2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
        2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
        2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
        2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
        1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Definitely try out a Duncan Custom in the bridge. If you want to spend a little extra, go with a Duncan RTM.

Comment

Or you could just get an Invader (or pair)
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

If you go for EMGs, get 57/66 combo - blows 81 & 85 (or 60) out of the water.

Comment

Gravity Storm, but far, the best pickup I've ever heard.....
                -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

The Custom Custom is an awesome pickup. I put one in my Epi LP Pro/FX and it sounds fantastic. Clear, articulate, smooth and dirty all at the same time. Sounds great coil tapped too.
                  Gil

Comment

That Dimarzio Adrian Smiths has in his signature Jackson is the best fucking sounding metal pick up ever...done...period. I have a damn Les Paul custom with Het set in it, sounds like a single coil aluminum wound shit in a bangladeshian Squaer, compared to that Fender looking beast.
                    Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

i have an Tom Anderson H3 in mine and it rips!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                        The Custom Custom is an awesome pickup. I put one in my Epi LP Pro/FX and it sounds fantastic. Clear, articulate, smooth and dirty all at the same time. Sounds great coil tapped too.
                        Gil
                        Did you leave in the Alnico Classic in the neck position? I have the same guitar and the bridge Alnico Classic Plus sounds a bit thin, is that what you found? I'm going to try 10's first as I put 9's on it when I got it. Oh and BTW sorry for the hijack.
                        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I never spout pickup suggestions. Play the damn thing first. Figure out what it's lacking, and go from there.
                          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                            I never spout pickup suggestions. Play the damn thing first. Figure out what it's lacking, and go from there.
                            Well....OK, note definition/upper mids are missing so I can use the manufacturer's charts to compare but I was really just curious about what others have been using.

Comment

I'm an EMG guy, they give me what I want. But I prefer 85s both on the bridge and neck.
                              Check my bands!
                              www.myspace.com/magicktr
                              www.myspace.com/sinif64
                              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
                              X