Disaster on my DK2M body refinish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster on my DK2M body refinish!

Pulled down my DK2M body to check for dust/blems and hit them with some sandpaper between coats. As I am putting it back on the hook to cure some more, the "neck" piece of wood cracks, rotates and blows out a piece of the neck pocket! GDAMMIT!
    Sure need some fix ideas on this one. What the hell can I do to make this right?

Sully?

Comment

EGGZACKLY!
      Help a Brother out!

Comment

That bottom part doesn't hold a lot.
        Is there damage in the flat portion where the neck bolts on?

Comment

No
          it just busted out the thin "wall" as it comes to the top part of the body. It is all Aesthetics. It would look like crap with this damn hole in the wall portion.
          I am still cursing about this!

Comment

Fiberglass patch? I would think wood putty would be too weak to hold...
            "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
            ENGL Powerball II
            Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
            1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
            1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
            2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
            2011 Jackson DK2M Black
            1987 Charvel Model 2 White
            2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
            1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
            1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
            2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
            2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
            2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
            2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
            2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
            2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
            2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
            1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

woodfiller and wood glue mixed with some dust will patch it.
              Haters gonna hate
              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Bondo that baby!
                MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                  Bondo that baby!
                  This.
                  Glue the chunk back in and use some marine grade filler (doesn't shrink) to smooth it out and call it a day.
                  -Rick

Comment

that sucks! yeah, try some of the suggestions and see if you can get that fixed. good luck.

Comment

Rout out a chunk and rout annother chunk in and then rout it? Wood glue....stronger than the wood itself? What a PITA.
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

That sucks.

Comment

Find the chunk and see if you can line it up and get a tight fit bleed some thin super glue in the crack and let it dry.
                          After a few days sand it smooth and add filler if you need it.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I feel you man, I screwed up a paintjob like two months ago. I was doing blood splatter on a black body. I wood puttied all the dents and nicks, sanded it to perfection, primed it, sanded it to perfection (again), painted it black, did a very light sanding to get dust off, blood splattered it, sanded it (I know it's getting old!) and I was doing the clear coat.

It was starting to look pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. Then the clearcoat started running! I was sooooo pissed off It's started to get warm again, so I think I've chilled out and had enough time to cool off. I might muster up the courage to redo it.

Anyway, straycat's advice seems pretty good. Just glue the piece back on, putty it and sand it smooth. It should turn out all right...
                            Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                            Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. There is a small piece of the blown out section. It shattered. I am gonna try to get this in place with some wood filler. Will update with pics. I hope I can save this project so it doesn't look like a turd.
                              Was going for an Adrian Smith look with the a DK2M neck, minus the pickguard.

Comment

Working...
                              X