DK2M neck swappage mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M neck swappage mystery

As most of you may know, I've spent the last couple of years putting DK2M necks (ca. 2008 models) on just about everything I could, but mostly WRMG/XT bodies.

All the necks I have are from 2008, as far as I can tell, and the bodies are from more varied years (MG with and without AfterBurner, Floyded XTs).

However, I've recently run into a couple of oddballs: One I put on a DK2 BOF body (chipping the paint to hell around the pocket in the process ) and one I put on a refinished WRXT body both have the same problem - they lean towards the treble side, putting the high E within slipping distance of the edge of the board.

For the other 4 (including the Halford), the necks went on straight as a pin like they were made for one another.

The BOF pocket was tight from the start, but I figured that was just excess paint around the pocket, and began to ruin the finish until the neck went in. Bolted it up and saw it was crooked. Loosened the bolts, tried to get it to go down straight, shaved off more paint overlapping the pocket edge, tightened again. Finally gave up and learned to live with it.

For the refinished WRXT body I got recently, I ran into the same problem, and figured it was also just excess paint, so tried not to chip it up as badly
    Same problem - neck leans to the high E.

Just for giggles, I put the BOF's original neck on the XT and it went in straight.
    Then tried an older GroverJackson neck and it went in straight.
    Then tried a busted DK2M neck and it went in straight (!)

The 2 DK2M necks I'm having trouble with are definitely real Jackson DK2M necks - I bought complete guitars and took the necks off myself.

I'm at a total loss as to what the problem with just these two necks could be.

Only thing I haven't done is tried to put these two necks on my other WR bodies that already have the same necks, just to see if I happened to get two bad necks, or if I got two bad bodies.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Just a stab in the dark here, but I would guess that those 2 necks have just slightly off heels and their paired bodies were routed to compensate for that.
    I would guess that if you try those necks on those other WR bodies, they would still be offset there as well.
    It's unlikely the bodies are bad, since the other necks align properly on them.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Could the neck mounting holes be drilled in a different location so that the neck wants to turn in the pocket when bolted up?

Comment

Could be a combination of both suggestions.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

those necks are bad. just send em to me
          i had that issue before and it was that i had to fill and redrill the holes in order for it to sit straight for one and on another a simple sanding of some paint on the inside wall of theneck pocket helped it sit right.

Comment

Well, I also tried just holding the neck in the pocket with the strings and bridge in place, but with no neck screws or trem springs. The neck would not tilt towards the bass side as it should have.

I did think it was perhaps a bit much wood in the pocket, and shaved some out with a sharp chisel, but I'm thinking it may be that I need to shave some off the side of the neck heel instead.

I just double-checked my others - Metallic Black XT, DMB XT, Black MG - and they're all having the same problem, but to a much lesser degree than this newest one. The MBK is the worst of those other 3, but at least the high E is over the meat of the fretwire. On the new one, the string is directly over the edge slope.
            And the nut on the MBK is off-center as well, favoring the treble side. I'll have to see if I can fix that.

Looks like I'm at least going to have to get a file and shave the heels down.

Comment

aaaaand I swapped the neck off the Metallic Black and refin green, and now both are just fine. The others weren't as bad as I thought (getting old and more senile )

The BOF neck is still a tad off, but it may be the Floyd.

Comment

Working...
              X