Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Floyd Fot a Charvel model 1

Hey guys
    I recently got super lucky and found an 87 charvel model 1 on craigs list for 200 bucks!! However the bridge is a "lic under floyd rose patents" and the locking nut is installed and placed after the plastic nut. I have seen pictures of other early charvel's with this kind of nut set-up, why is that? and what do i look out for in getting a good floyd for this guitar?

here is one i thought would do

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Floyd-Rose-O...item3a7fa2f9f2

thoughts?

Thanks guys

Model 1s have a vintage trem and maple fretboard, not a floyd. If your guitar has a floyd and rosewood board, its a Model 2. As far as the nut, thats just what they used back then.. some people dont like them, but Ive got tons of them and they work just fine. The floyd is a JT6 and is ok, but not great. You can replace it with just about any floyd you want, original, schaller, you name it, because its top mount and not recessed, just about any floyd with normal post spacing will work. I recommend a German OFR.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

yeah its not stock.. its a maple fretboard and somebody at some point put that bridge and nut in it.

Comment

Comment

Can you get a close up of the bridge and nut?

Comment

Yeah that doesn't look like a Floyd... best bet is to measure the post spacing first things first. Measure center to center and post up the results.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

That's a Charvette body or some 80's Jackson/Charvel copy body. Not a JT6 trem. The trem posts are closer together so you'll have to fill and redrill the holes for the posts
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

looks like a legit body to me. Could be a Model 2 body with a Model 4A neck.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Hey guys gimme a day or so and i can have my dad email me a bunch of pics

Here is the only other pic i got from the craigslist add before it was taken down

Last edited by 80sninja; 03-24-2013, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Looks like a stock model 1 to me that someone has drilled and fitted some old cheap import series trem, probably from an Ibanez RG or Kramer or something. As it looks like there is a small paint chip on the lower post mount. Whatever, the posts look like the right spacing to me for your standard floyd / JT 6 / JT 580 / Schaller etc. and if they are really badly done you can fill and redrill and you'll probably need a Kahler or any behind the nut lock nut and all.

Also it's not an early model 2 with the Kahler fulcrum trem as the post spacings are too wide and it doesn't look like a cheapy Charvette two point trem either.

It could be an early model two that someone has drilled to fit a licensed floyd and fitted a model 1 neck to or it's a stock model 1.

The thing that get me is the vol pot looks too close to the pickup, but maybe it's the shadow or it has an oversized ring on it.

Most importantly it looks like a floyd will fit right on there.

Found this great resource if it's any good.

http://charvelusa.com/models.html
                    Last edited by ginsambo; 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

If thats one of those cheap floyd wannabee non lockers that came on charvettes and cheap bc richs then the spacing is not gonna work with a floyd. I wish it did. Then my charvette would get a lot more playtime.

Comment

Dont think i have ever seen one like this before.....

Comment

Yeah it is afterall a cheapy charvette one, which makes me think it might be a charvette body afterall as said, unless the v trem mount holes are still under the trem.

Easier to fill and redrill screws than posts though eh.
                          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                          X