Floyds and string gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyds and string gauge

To flutter or not to flutter. That is the mutha fuckin' question.
    I have a shredder with a Schaller Floyd, set up with EB Slinky's (10- 46), brass big block and 2 heavy duty noiseless springs. But I can't get the Floyd to flutter and I suspect, because of the heavy strings and springs, it ain't gonna.

Damned shame, too; I typically play Slinky's 9-42 and I can get that bar to flutter like crazy but not so on this one. It's by far one of my heavier sounding axes, with OBL's, mahogany body maple neck with ebony board. Articulate yet thick and chunky as hell. Perfect for the heavier tunes we do in the band but at the cost of some of the Floyd's responsiveness.

Anyone ever set up a floating Floyd with 10-46's and get it to flutter?

I suspect it is the heavy duty springs keeping it from fluttering. 10 - 46 is not that heavy. I have a couple of floyds set up with that guage and with 3 regular springs I can get them to flutter.
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
      I suspect it is the heavy duty springs keeping it from fluttering. 10 - 46 is not that heavy. I have a couple of floyds set up with that guage and with 3 regular springs I can get them to flutter.
      Worth a try. Thanks.

Comment

Stupid Q of the day; What does "Flutter" mean?

Comment

depress your bar slightly. Pluck a string. Let your hand slide off the end of the bar. The note should "warble". Sounds particularly groovy if you then slide the note.

Alternatively, you can flick or punch the bar. Anything but gently release it
          Hail yesterday

Comment

thanks for the clarification....I know the move, just not the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Amerturk View Post
              thanks for the clarification....I know the move, just not the name.
              Goes by several names. Flutter, warble, trill, snap the fookin' bar, etc. Used sparingly and/or inventively, it can be a great accent or nuance in the bag o tricks. Check out Brag Gillis, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Nuno Bettencourt, Jim V. for tasty examples of this technique...

Comment

Back when I didn't know any better ('87/'88) I had a Kramer Focus and put 10s on it. The Floyd had plenty of flutter. But then, I was a heavy-hander back then who was used to the stiffer response of a Kahler stud-mount, so I could make a Floyd flutter if I just hit the strings too hard
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I discovered fluttering by accident in a Seattle music store, when I picked up an HM Strat w/ a Floyd on it and was whammying away (much to the distress of the sales guys) My hand slipped off the bar and well, you get the idea. One of the sale guys came over in an attempt to either get me to buy it or stop playing and said, "You 're pretty good with that Floyd." I just laughed.

BTW- BigE13- I swapped out the two heavy duty springs for 3 regulars and the flutter still isn't there. Gotta start looking at other factors- knife edges, post condition, etc.
                  Last edited by vector; 03-23-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I found that different guitars react differently to this technique.
                    Some are easy some just harder.Mahogany I found to harder to get the warble effect.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      I found that different guitars react differently to this technique.
                      Some are easy some just harder.Mahogany I found to harder to get the warble effect.
                      Hmm. Interesting. I have 6 different mahogany guitars- 3 Californians, a Blitz, an SG Diablo and a LP Axcess. All of 'em warble/flutter very well. The one ax in question is the only one that has the heavier gauge strings and doesn't warble. I had one renowned luthier suggest that heavy gauge strings + heavy springs= no flutter. I dunno.

Comment

I use D'Addario 11-gauge strings tuned to Eb standard with FU heavy duty noiseless springs and get plenty of flutter.
                        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

In the early 80's....

Randy Rhoads made me want to play the guitar.

Brad Gillis made me want a Floyd Rose.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X