rsources for learning how to do setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rsources for learning how to do setups

Can anyone recommend resource for learning how to do your own setups. Mine seem to need minor setup with each season change and I would like to be able to learn to do it myself.

MrHiwatt
    Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
    RR1 Black
    RR1 Blue ghost flames
    Stealth EX
    Hamer Studio
    Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Look for books from Dan Erlewine. How to make your guitar play great should be your first.

Comment

The best lessons you can learn are by getting a beater guitar, stripping it down to the paint and put it back together. Along the way take notes of where things go and how the action was, among other things and adjust things to your liking. It's not difficult at all and it's a fun process to learn. There are numerous videos on youtube concerning truss rod adjustments, shims, action, etc...

Comment

+1 on Dan's books and vids.

Comment

I bought a super cheapo strat copy off Craigslist for $25. Bought book and went to town on it. I figured that if I could make that pos play well and sound decent I was doing pretty well.

I striped it down completely. Put a spray paint job on it, cleaned all the parts, and then put it back together. Cleaned the fret board, polished the frets and started to set it up. After a set of used pickups, paint, strings, new pots, and a set of used tuners I was into the thing for about $125. It played well and sounded good. I ended up selling it for $220. So I figure I got paid to learn. Now if I could figure out how to do that with some college classes I'd be golden, lol.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Tons of videos and info on Youtube.

Comment

I started with Dan's book too. How to make your guitar play great is the one I got and have still. I still use the radius gauges that came with the book too. That, youtube vids, practice, and asking questions here will get you pretty damn far..
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think a copy of Dan's book will be purchased and I like the idea of buying a beater to practice on before I do my RR1"s

MrHiwatt
                Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
                RR1 Black
                RR1 Blue ghost flames
                Stealth EX
                Hamer Studio
                Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Originally posted by mrhiwatt View Post
                  buying a beater to practice on before I do my RR1"sMrHiwatt
                  Oh God, yes, please practice first!
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

??? ....setups have nothing to do with stripping paint....??

I mean, yeah a beater is a nice place to start learning how to do refins, but adjusting the truss rod for seasonal/environmental fluctuations is far removed from the paint. You guys make it sound like he should refinish his guitar whenever he adjusts the neck. What's next, swap the pickups when he adjusts the bridge height?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X