Neck Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Setup

Well I noticed that on the high E side the neck on my Fusion is straight as Burt Reynolds but on the low E side the neck bows a little way down by the 18 fret... what is causing this?
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

I know what you mean, it's not neck twist as such, but all the same the board on high E side rises as it bows more around the 18th fret. A few of my guitars do this, some even fret out with a low action, yet you'd think it'd be the other side of the board as there is more tension on the low E. It's the same sort of effect you get on old classical guitars.

Is this what Sully calls rising tongue?

Are you sure about Burt Reynolds?

Perhaps it is because the 18th fret is where the truss rod ends, although one my guitars it does this on is a Pro Mod with a heel adjusted rod so I have no idea why it happens or what you can do about it.

EDIT: Apparently of you leave the trussrod loose this can happen, but it is fixable, is the truss rod loose and what gauge strings you have on it? Speculating, maybe the rod was left loose because the neck was a bit stiff and straight verging on backbow. I'II wait and see what people who know what they are talking about have to say.

The truss is not at all loose on my Pro Mod and it has heavy gauge strings on it as well.

Do you get any choking on full tone bends around the 15th or 17th position? I think it's a fairly common problem, simlar to not using your highest frets, a fret level on the hogher frets can usually sort it I think.
    Last edited by ginsambo; 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Just put on new strings and the bow went away a little bit but now the G string is buzzing... ugh.
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

It'll take a while to settle again, same gauge?

3 out of 10 of my guitars have this to some degree on the low E or high E side. You don't really need alot of fret material on the highest frets anyway and if it bothers you, you can scallop the board or get it corrected.
        Last edited by ginsambo; 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Scalloping the board wont do a thing for that. Scalloping is simply removing wood from the board itself leaving the frets alone. If this rise on the board is causing playability issues then have the frets leveled, crowned and polished. Also try tweaking the rod a bit straighter then raise the action a tad to reduce fret buzz, At least for a bit to see if it corrects itself.
          Keep us posted.
          Gil

Comment

My idea about scalloping was that if you like the feel of jumbos, yet worse case scenario, you find it is really bad, can't fix it and might have to file away most of the last frets to alleviate the rising tongue, then scalloped fretboard recesses in that area would bring back the feel of jumbos, without having to shave the end of the board down and refret it. It wasn't meant to be a practical solution on it's own.

Also find the ends of one side of the board rises and flattens with the seasons and humidity etc. on mine.

How common is this issue on guitars, it seems to be fairly common?
            Last edited by ginsambo; 03-19-2013, 03:28 AM.

Comment

I put a quarter turn of relief into the neck, seems to be getting better and the bowing is almost gone.

My 1 through 4,5 frets are pretty worn.

I have recently been taking my Guitar back and forth between my house and shop and it's cold outside.
              sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

The G string will not stop buzzing... adjusted the bridge height... checked for loose nuts... cleaned all the saddles... replaced the locking block in the bridge... I just will not stop buzzing even if I raise the bridge up really high.

Driving me nuts... I just did a string change... bad string?

:think:
                sigpic
                Action Jackson

Comment

Buzzing on an open string, or fretted all the way up the board? If fretted, I think you said it yourself. Probably because of those pristine high frets compared to you worn lower ones, more relief may not do any good if the frets are that worn. That is what happens to me anyway. If it's on an open G, then it's the nut or the saddles or the neck is rising very obviously or a lower fret has popped out slightly. Are all the saddles all in a radius? The G string one isn't low is it? I think a floyd/580 is set at a 12" radius. Any existing shims that may have been fitted to compensate for wear are pretty small and can get lost in a refit or the saddle/block is worn, which given the state of your frets may be possible, or the locking nut is grooved. The locking nuts on my model series are all worn out, to the extent that they don't hold pitch anymore and need replacing.
                  Last edited by ginsambo; 03-22-2013, 03:05 AM.

Comment

^ how about the good news doctor?

open G buzzes... it was at my garage which gets down to 45 degrees fahrenheit for a few nights.
                    Last edited by Nimitz; 03-22-2013, 04:15 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

Honestly, try a new string. Its not unheard of to get a bad string out of the box.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I put a shim under the saddle and it cleaned it up a bit... it wasn't a bad string.
                        sigpic
                        Action Jackson

Comment

Saddle buzz? Did you adjust the intonation at the string change? Is the little brass tab at the bottom of the Floyd saddle missing? Could have slipped out and under the saddle, and that's what was rattling, especially if it's on all notes on the string.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Pretty sure the brass is still there... my frets are very worn though.

I'll take another look under the saddle after I wash off my pizza fingers.
                            sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

If ut buzzes on the last fret then its either a loose fret or something at the saddle. Like the string not sitting in the saddle correctly. Or a burr on the saddle.

Comment

Working...
                              X