Removing binding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing binding question

Hi, new member here. After much research I've decided on a Charvel DX-1 ST but before I buy I want to make sure I can remove the binding. Can I just pull it off or cut it off? Will it peel off the finish? Or leave a glue bead behind? Thanks for any assistance. Also planning on an EMG 89R to replace the EMG 85 neck pickup. About me; been playing mostly acoustic guitar 40 years, like fingerpicking 12 strings & have 2, a banjitar, mini acoustic & a ukulele. I've had a few cheap electrics over the years, most had 1 5/8" nuts or uneven frets so I didn't play them much. Decided to put some thought into this next purchase & get something I'll stick with. The new Hendrix cd was probably a factor in this decision not that I'll ever play like Jimi.

The binding isn't like pinstriping. Unless you were gonna replace it with another color binding you wouldn't remove it. This guitar might be one of the furthest things from Hendrix.

Comment

Why would you want to remove the binding? :think: It's not something you can just peel off, if you somehow managed to strip it off you'd be left with damaged lacquer and paintwork, an empty binding channel route around the neck and body and frets sticking out the fretboard. Maybe look for a guitar without binding?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Agreed. Unless you plan on replacing it because of the color or it's broken, don't touch it. the binding channel is routed in and without it, there will be a gap.

Comment

Just the body binding, neck looks ok. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth the trouble to remove but it's not a deal breaker. I haven't found anything else that has the features I want though my budget was double what this cost. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Like other have said, if you remove the binding (plastic strip), you'll be left with an exposed channel like in this pic:

Comment

Originally posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
              Just the body binding, neck looks ok. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth the trouble to remove but it's not a deal breaker. I haven't found anything else that has the features I want though my budget was double what this cost. Thanks for the input.
              What exactly are you looking for? I'm sure everyone on this forum can point you in the right direction.
              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Was looking for a 12"-16" compound radius neck, through body neck, locking tuners & single coil neck pickup under $1,300. No tremolo. This one came the closest, I can change the pickup. Love the finish, hate the binding. It's garish. Looks like Walmart door edge trim for a pimp car. If I can't get used to the look I'll take it to a local luthier & have them replace it with binding that closely matches the color of the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
                  Was looking for a 12"-16" compound radius neck, through body neck, locking tuners & single coil neck pickup under $1,300. No tremolo. This one came the closest, I can change the pickup. Love the finish, hate the binding. It's garish. Looks like Walmart door edge trim for a pimp car. If I can't get used to the look I'll take it to a local luthier & have them replace it with binding that closely matches the color of the finish.
                  Before you buy the guitar contact a luthier and see what it would cost to replace the binding. Then add that amount to the $1300 price point you set and see if that's enough to get a guitar with the features you want. It might be.
                  My Toys:
                  '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                  '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                  '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                  '94 Dinky HX in Black
                  '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Maybe painting the binding might be easier?

Comment

Pick up a Charvel Model 6 or 650XL. They are exactly what youre looking for, and were made in Japan... they can usually hold their own against comparable USA models, and are 10 times the guitar the new crappy Made in China Charvels are. They can also be had for around the same price, so if you don't mind a used guitar, it really is a no brainer.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Under 1300USD...
                        Why not buy a used US SL-1 or a Jap Professional?
                        Or as RobRR says, some Jap Charvel?
                        They all beat the shit out of current production imports.

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                          Before you buy the guitar contact a luthier and see what it would cost to replace the binding. Then add that amount to the $1300 price point you set and see if that's enough to get a guitar with the features you want. It might be.
                          Good point. I did a little research & thought it might be something I could do myself but I'll get a quote first. Painting it as mentioned, sounds like a viable option too or even just toning down the glitter some with a permanant marker or something. Was ready to buy this afternoon & the place I shop looks to have quit selling them so I emailed them to be sure. Will check out those used Charvels too, not familiar with those models but I'll look into them. I forgot to mention the nut width, that's another thing. It's 42.8 mm & about as narrow as I can go. Some other models were narrower. Played a Jackson recently with the same neck dimensions & it felt great. My last electric was rather cramped below the 4th fret. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by robrr View Post
                            pick up a charvel model 6 or 650xl. They are exactly what youre looking for, and were made in japan... They can usually hold their own against comparable usa models, and are 10 times the guitar the new crappy made in china charvels are. They can also be had for around the same price, so if you don't mind a used guitar, it really is a no brainer.

amen brother
                            sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

Model 6 and 650xls both have trems. If you really don't want a trem look for a used USA SL1T they are string thru with a tunomatic style bridge. There is also the option of a humbucker in the neck with a 4 conductor wiring to split it to a single coil.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X