PIC REQUEST: model 2/3/4/5/6 Floyd lock nut conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIC REQUEST: model 2/3/4/5/6 Floyd lock nut conversions

I have my model 6 in the shop to have a floyd nut put on it and they are pretty apprehensive about it. I'm going in in about an hour to talk to them about it.

If anyone could post pictures of their nuts (haha) that have been converted to floyds, I'd really appreciate it so i can help them see what to do. I've found a couple pictures searching, but more is better. Even if you cant get pictures here in the hour, it would be very helpful if you could post any within the next day or two and I'll email them.

Thanks

Here you go. My tech does these for me. First he builds a platform out of ebony. It needs to have an arch on the bottom to provide clearance for a standard crack pipe truss wrench. This is glued down. The tricky part is the OFR top drilled nut. The two screws typically don't have enough material to sink into because of the unfortunate placement above the truss cavity underneath. So, they are angled outwards into the sides of the cavity. The nut may have to modified for that, I don't recall. It is critical that the height and angle and centering be correct, as is the case for any OFR nut. Most of these conversions that you encounter in the wild are done very poorly. I've seen some done as bottom-drilled, and looked pretty decent. I prefer top-drilled.

Comment

IIRC, Plon does the bottom-drilled nut mods.

Comment

Nice piece of rosewood that looks like rosewood should.

Do you want to say how much this runs and can you get bulk discounts

Comment

Thanks axe, that looks like what I was talking to the tech about doing.

My truss rod has some washers around it. I've never seen this before, while I'm pretty sure it is something a stupid previous owner did, I've also never owned an M6 before, so I can't say for sure. Does anyone else have washers on their truss rods?

Comment

here's my Model 2. Can't tell you anything about the mod - it was like that when I got here. Excuse the dust *cough cough*

Hail yesterday

Comment

Also you'll want to ask your tech to modify one of those standard BWB truss rod covers so that it covers the truss cavity but does not cover the HS logo. I didn't bother to fill the stringlock holes, and you can see part of them still exposed. I may go back and address that on this guitar.

Comment

Thanks. This is what we were talking about doing.... gluing new wood on there then sanding that flat down which is what all the pictures here are showing

Comment

Here's a couple of shots of the OFR conversion I did on my old 5A.
                  Some scrap Maple and wood filler did the trick nicely.

m5IMG_0534sm.jpg M5-shelf.jpg
                  -Rick

Comment

Dupe
                    -Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X