SD Gus G questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Gus G questions

Anyone try or currently using the Gus G p'ups??

Can you kill the preamp and have the p'ups run passive w/out the preamp boost? How does it sound, aside from not as loud?

If you're running the Gus G's thru a 1 vol. knob set up, I assume you need to make that a push/pull knob in order to switch the preamp on and off?

What p'ups does the Gus G compare to sound-wise? I can't get a good sense from the clip on the SD site.

I think they are designed to operate with the pre-amp on 100% of the time. My understanding is they are voiced to sound the same as Blackouts, just with the pre-amp external.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I came away understanding that they have a lot of the characteristics of a passive- the dynamics, if you will. I seriously hope so. Because if what you say is true, then what's the fucking point? If it's just a Blackout with an external pre amp, why not get a Blackout?? Is an external pre-amp all that revolutionary?

Comment

I thought the Gus G pups + Preamp are different than using the standard blackouts coil packs + Blackouts modular preamp. The coil packs + BMP are voiced exactly the same as normal blackouts though.

With regard to your wiring question. I'm not sure if the coils for the Gus G system are fully fledged pickups. I was under the impression that they were like the Blackouts coil packs, very weak magnet designed to operate correctly only with the preamp engaged. If you used the BMP with standard pickups you could probably ninja some crazy wiring schematic to be able to switch from active to passive, kind of a cool idea actually. No idea how you would do that though.

Am I making sense?

Comment

Working...
        X