Really tight truss rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really tight truss rod

Does anybody have any advice for lubricating a really tight trussrod? I just received an old PC1 and the rod is super super tight - I had to get my wife to hold the body of the guitar still and I really had to lean into the lever I put on the wrench to get it to budge even a fraction...
    Last edited by neilli; 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Uhh... dude... you need to be careful with that. There are some potential problems if the truss rod is THAT tight. I'd take it to a guitar shop and have it checked out ASAP. Tighten it up any further and you will either massively screw up the truss rod or separate the fretboard (if rosewood or ebony) from the neck. You should never have to adjust the neck action more than a 1/4-turn, and that's under extreme conditions.

Comment

Wd40

Comment

Originally posted by DrDestruction View Post
        Uhh... dude... you need to be careful with that. There are some potential problems if the truss rod is THAT tight. I'd take it to a guitar shop and have it checked out ASAP. Tighten it up any further and you will either massively screw up the truss rod or separate the fretboard (if rosewood or ebony) from the neck. You should never have to adjust the neck action more than a 1/4-turn, and that's under extreme conditions.

I totally disagree with the 1/4 turn statement - totally false. I'm the one that setup this for Ian but since it traveled 3000 miles in a cold truck, he needs to make adjustments. I had told him that the truss rod was really tight - never seen one this tight before...

Comment

Turn the truss rod nut towards the 1st string and see if it loosens up. If it's loose that way. Then the rod is maxed. If it's that tight and the neck still has too much relief tben the neck is probably too dry and needs to be humidified or heat pressed or something.
          Gil

Comment

I usually apply a little WD-40 or similar and let it sit for a while.
            Then loosen all the strings and apply pressure on the neck to push it as
            far as possible (or as far as I dare) "to a backbow" position, this will release
            some of the pressure on the truss rod nut and it usually comes out.
            Then you can examine the situation.
            Last edited by 1337storm; 03-11-2013, 01:54 AM.

Comment

I always let a new arrival sit for a few days before adjusting the rod, to give the neck time to acclimate. Most of the time, if it comes in with too much in either direction (usually relief), letting it sit will do the trick and I don't have to move the rod at all.

However, you might want to be careful with oil products, as they don't always get along with wood.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

does it loosen easily? back it out use graphite and try again

Comment

Can't tell from the original post if the nut is seized on the rod OR if it is maxed out (tightened to the max).

If it's seized on there, you can use PB Blaster to try and get it to release.

If you can get the truss rod nut off, lube the threads, put a couple of washers on the rod and put the nut back on. This will give you a bit more adjustment if it's maxed out now.

Comment

Working...
                  X