2 humbuckers, 1 volume, caps question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, caps question

Alright so, not sure if this should go into the tonezone of if it should stay here?

I have a guitar with 2 Seymour Duncans and only one volume pot. There is no tone pot at all. And i dont need a tone pot anyway.

What i want is to solder either one or two mallory caps in there because the pure humbucker signal is a bit too harsh. The caps are of course meant to filter the harshness.

My question is, where exactly do i solder the caps to and what values do i need since there is no tone pot attached? Usually i like 0.22's on 500K tone pots but might this be too dark now without any tone pot attached?

Please advise. Thank you!

Hi,
    I'm not an expert on this by any means, but isn't the usual method for reducing the harshness to lower the value of the volume pot (if it's stock it's probably 500k, replace it with a 250k).

That's what I''ve heard, anyway.

Cheers,
    Ian

Comment

That's the way I understand it.

However, by wiring caps directly between the pickups and the switch, rather than just at the pot, you can use different values for custom results tailored for each pickup. Say you want .22 for the neck and .44 for the bridge, or whatever.

But if the bridge is a JB, try a 250K pot. Lots of folks like that combo. However, it might make a Jazz or 59 neck a bit muddy.

The guys over at the Duncan forum might have better insight. However, they'll probably also beat you over the head with suggestions of magnet swaps and/or making a hybrid
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by xxx256 View Post
        Usually i like 0.22's on 500K tone pots but might this be too dark now without any tone pot attached?

Please advise. Thank you!
        Start from hot -> 500K resistor -> .022 cap -> ground. This will simulate a 500K .022 tone pot full open / on 10. You can use the hot and ground at the output jack if you want.

Comment

Anything less than a .22 will let more treble come through. I have a pot with a treble bleed mod on it. solder one end on the middle contact of the pot and the other to the top of the pot (ground) if you just want to tone down the hummer you want to go much lower than the .22. of course the easy solution is to turn the treble down on your amp! hehe
          Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
          2007 Jackson DK2M
          1983 Kramer Pacer Special
          2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
          2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Working...
          X