BRIGHT problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRIGHT problem

my B/W dinky is really bright. its got a 500K pot, swapped pickups didnt help much. its got a jackson made in germany by schaller no clue what model that is. Most of my other jackson i can go from guitar to guitar and not touch my amp, this one is almost painfully bright unless i do lots of tweaking. & even then its a bit thin sounding unless the gain and bass are dimed.

So volume pot only and no tone? I had a guitar like that and I added a 500 Kohm resistor with a .47 mfd cap in the control cavity. It tamed that bright beast!

Comment

Lemme guess theres a JB in the bridge. Swap the 500k for a 250k that will warm it up and smooth it out.

Comment

No it's a screaming demon but I tried a JB and a BL 500L not much of a difference

Comment

So you replaced a bright pickup with a bright pickup with a bright pickup? Try a Super Distortion or an Invader. Or a Custom Custom.

500K = Bright as well. You could step down to a 250K.

Bridge is not a problem. JT-590's are supposed to be warmer than an OFR. Black bridges supposed to be warmer than chrome.

BTW, what is the body made out of, and what type of fretboard?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            So you replaced a bright pickup with a bright pickup with a bright pickup? Try a Super Distortion or an Invader. Or a Custom Custom.

500K = Bright as well. You could step down to a 250K.

Bridge is not a problem. JT-590's are supposed to be warmer than an OFR. Black bridges supposed to be warmer than chrome.

BTW, what is the body made out of, and what type of fretboard?
            edit: Is this the crackle dinky? A Custom Custom would sound sweet in there.

Comment

Yes it's the crackle. The 500L isn't that bright its no where near as bright as the XL. I used the JB because I have a couple laying around and have JBs in 2 other super strats. It was more for comparison, but this guitar is way brighter than any of my other super strats. It's even brighter than the all maple strat I had. Will def try the 250k pot.

Comment

another vote for the SD Custom Custom
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I put a Custom Custom in a very bright ESP Horizon neck thru. It's my favorite axe for tone.

Comment

Is it your amp?

Comment

Full shred is darker with reduced high end but still remains clear.

Comment

If the body is maple that would account for brightness too.
                        JB's are a bright pick up and a screamin demon is pretty much a JB.
                        I use a 300k pot a vintage type paper in oil cap with a JB in alder/basswood bodies.
                        It tames the brightness a lot.
                        A Duncan Custom or a more PAF style pick up would help too.
                        I'm doing repairs and pick up swap for a customer right now and trying different things to tone it down.
                        The guitar is a Strat using a JB Jr in the neck,LiL 59 in the middle and a JB Jr in the bridge. He wants two volume controls one for the neck and middle and one for the bridge and one master tone.Running a 5 way switch.
                        Its an ash body and using 500k pots it was pretty much a buzz saw.Installed 3 300k pots and a conventional 022 ceramic cap and it tamed it down to a more usable set up.
                        Will probably go with a 3 way switch in the end to separate the overall tone. A JB Jr and Lil 59 don't work well together because the JB seems to suck the life out of the Lil59.
                        The stronger pick up will always draw from the weaker pick up when running both at the same time.
                        With the 3 way I believe it will cure the mis matched pick ups.
                        Last edited by straycat; 03-01-2013, 01:41 AM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                          Full shred is darker with reduced high end but still remains clear.
                          Good to know, I've got another dinky with a full shred that I think is very close to the sound I'm looking for. Last night I had a few ST-3s and my Jackson strat and Dinkys out. Was very surprised at the tonal differences between them given how similar they all are.

Comment

That is why we need so many - they all sound different even with the same pickups.

Also check the action. If you get too low, the strings can't ring out and the low end suffers. Maybe raise the bridge a certain number of turns. See if there is a difference. If not, just screw it back down.

Comment

Don I use a medium action. And yeah they all sound different. I will say the ST-3s even with different pickups all had very similar tone and I had 3 of them. 1 screamin demon, 1 double whammy ,and 1 JB I think. The Jackson's were much brighter and were all in the same ball park but not as close as the BCRs.

Comment

Working...
                              X