Truss rod adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod adjustment

So I need to do a truss rod adjustment to my EVH Art Series guitar which apparently involves removing the neck to access the truss rod adjustment screw. I am a little nervous as I have never removed a neck from a guitar body. I am not sure if there will be shims in the neck pocket, but if there is, do I just make sure I put them back in the pocket when re-attaching the neck? Do they have to sit a certain way or anything? I am worried that maybe when I re=attach the neck it may be crooked or something. Am I getting all worried over nothing?

How long have Stratocasters been around?

Comment

And how many of them have laquer cracks at the heel?

Seriously though, FMIC Charvels, I would just be careful as you can chip that paint pretty easy, depending on how tight the fit is, how seasoned the body wood was to begin with and how much it has shrunk around the neck, or the neck has expanded into the body. Ok if it's a working guitar, but it might upset you.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

You shouldn't have to fully remove the neck. Just loosen the screws a little bit so you've got clearance to get your screwdriver/wrench in there, adjust it, then tighten the screws back up.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          How long have Stratocasters been around?
          And how long have they had the adjustment at the nut? Quite a long time. There's no reason anybody needs to have the adjustment at the heel any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            And how long have they had the adjustment at the nut? Quite a long time. There's no reason anybody needs to have the adjustment at the heel any longer.
            Isn't it a "tone" thing? Heal adjust sounds better? Or is it just for looks (to look like the originals)?

Comment

I highly doubt a small strip of wood would have an affect on tone. Charvel probably still does it that way to keep in line with the originals, but it's pretty retarded when even Fender's been using the skunk stripe for so long and having the adjustment at the headstock.

Comment

Blasphemer, you shall be dunked as a witch!

What next?....irregularly spaced 12th fret dots on a MIM Charvels? D'oh!

The thing is soon the only thing to identify a Charvel, the thing that makes it unique, will be the body roundover profile at this rate.

Soon enough, guitars will go the way of car industry, they will all look the same and be owned by a couple of companies.

Oh too late, they already are, so stop giving them ideas already! I for one, actually like awkward and antiquated 1950's features on a guitar. They are cool.
                Last edited by ginsambo; 02-28-2013, 02:40 AM.
                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

TJ on the better guitars you do have to remove the neck as the screws thread thru the body and neck. Some of my older ones the screws so slide thru the body freely, but 90% of my nicer USA guitars you have to back the screws all the way out to get the neck to move.

Comment

I highly doubt a small strip of wood would have an affect on tone. Charvel probably still does it that way to keep in line with the originals, but it's pretty retarded when even Fender's been using the skunk stripe for so long and having the adjustment at the headstock.
                    No, it's more than that. The anchor points and other shit. I'm not a glue sniffer so I can't remember all the details. On Gibson sites, they complain to high hell about a "truss rod condom" killing the tone of historics - I think it's a plastic sleve around the rod.

Comment

As for the shims, if they are there, make sure you put them back in the position you found them. If they aren't the size of the neck pocket they are changing the angle of the neck. they are probably there for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X