PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Cab not working properly

jesude22
02-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone here could help me with my cabinet, I haven't run any of my equipment for like 2 and a half months and well finally getting back into cranking my amps and everything and my cabinet for some reason the 16 Ohm jack isn't working, the 4 Ohm works fine, and if I flip the switch for stereo on 8 Ohms each side, both work...now I just am confused because 16 Ohm on Mono just doesn't work...like I'm just wondering if anyone may know what's wrong, so I could hopefully fix the thing myself. :\

Cygnus X1
02-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Dirty switch.
Get some Deoxit, spray lightly, and work the switch for a little while.
Clean the jacks while you're at it.

jesude22
02-20-2013, 03:15 AM
hmm alright I'll give that a try thanks!

AdRock
02-22-2013, 10:23 PM
I agree with Cygnus, just a dirty switch. When a switch like that gets left on the same setting.g for a long time you can get some oxidation on it. Even if you use the cab on the same setting all the time move the swift h around fairly frequently and it'll keep crap from building up.

Amerturk
02-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Yep, what they said or the switch just went up and died on you.

The nice thing about cabs is that damn near anyone can work on them unlike an amp. :)

Joe_L
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Just be careful if it is a tube amp. Playing it with a cabinet cutting out can and will blow the output transformer and ruin your output tubes and sockets.

It only take a couple of chords.

..Joe L

Cygnus X1
05-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Hope jesude figured out the problem out by now.
Shorting open can damage a tube amp.
Shorting closed generally not a big issue for a tube amp.
Shorting closed can destroy a solid state amp though.

DalyTek
05-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I agree with Cygnus, just a dirty switch. When a switch like that gets left on the same setting.g for a long time you can get some oxidation on it. Even if you use the cab on the same setting all the time move the swift h around fairly frequently and it'll keep crap from building up.

+1, but make sure you DO NOT move the switch while the amp is turned on. (Even on standby. Make sure the amp is completely turned off!)