Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Swee-Tone Jazz`R pickup change

Yeah.
    Anyone here tried at least to change pickups on a Swee-Tone Jazz`R?
    The lack of back plate makes me wonder how is it even possible....

Routing one would be an alternative I guess, but you never know what can you find in there.

I`ve tried to find a blue print or anything that would tell me more about its construction, but no success there.

Any ideas?

Pretty sure those are semi-hollow, so you'd need to do it through the cavities. If you've got to rout an access cavity, don't; take it to a tech.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

hahaha...I wouldn`t do it myself. Not a chance.

Sounds like a big pain ,eh!

Comment

I have a feeling it'd require a skillset similar to that of a gynecologist.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Similar problem with the Les Paul Supreme. You have to wire it through the output jack hole.

Comment

Techs charge like triple fee for that kind of operation I guess....

Cheaper a gynecologist maybe.

Comment

I imagine any tech that regularly works on the old-style jazzboxes would be able to help you. All those old Gibson, D'Angelicos, etc would be the same, with all the work happening through the pickup cavities.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I tried it on mine. Couldn't get the pickups out of the cavities. I think they're hammered in place and the rings are just for show
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  I tried it on mine. Couldn't get the pickups out of the cavities. I think they're hammered in place and the rings are just for show
                  Can you at least adjust the pickup height?

Comment

Not that I could tell. I mean, they're in an ideal height tonally, so I guess I never really tried. I suppose if you took the height screws out completely it might be easier, but if not, then you're screwed trying to get them back in.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Any other Jazz`R owners can share their experience with the pickups swapping?

Comment

Not that I could tell. I mean, they're in an ideal height tonally, so I guess I never really tried. I suppose if you took the height screws out completely it might be easier, but if not, then you're screwed trying to get them back in.
                        Thanks a lot for your reply. ;-)

Comment

I've never heard of anyone even attempting to swap the pickups, possibly due to the lack of a control plate. When they came out, there was a small pic of whoever was installing the pots doing it with a "specialized tool". Looked like it may have been a modified coat-hanger.

I attempted it a few weeks ago, and ran into the problem mentioned earlier.

You'd have to remove the knobs, jack, and switch to do it, though. I'd suggest tying strings to each component and use those to pull each piece back through their holes once you replaced the pickups.

Comment

I've never heard of anyone even attempting to swap the pickups, possibly due to the lack of a control plate. When they came out, there was a small pic of whoever was installing the pots doing it with a "specialized tool". Looked like it may have been a modified coat-hanger.

I attempted it a few weeks ago, and ran into the problem mentioned earlier.

You'd have to remove the knobs, jack, and switch to do it, though. I'd suggest tying strings to each component and use those to pull each piece back through their holes once you replaced the pickups.
                            Awwww God....
                            A custom job back cavity would solve that issue, but would perhaps damage it`s value.

Comment

Yup. You could expect to sell it for about $500 tops after that.

What pickups did you have in mind as replacements?

Comment

Working...
                              X