Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the country of origin of this Fender OFR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the country of origin of this Fender OFR?

Need a decent OFR for a project and stumbled across this on ebay...

Comments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Floyd...item460cbe89c8

You can clearly see the Ping logo right between the trembar bushing. So I would guess ist made in Korea

Comment

So that is a decent trem for the money then?

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
        So that is a decent trem for the money then?
        I would say no, but after scanning ebay, wtf? Did they raise their prices or what?
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Doesn't ping = gotoh?
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            Doesn't ping = gotoh?
            No
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

+1 Gotoh trems look different Hellbat.
              I would pass on the Ping and IMO you could score a nice used German OFR for not much more.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Doesn't ping = gotoh?
                Gotoh is nicer than an OFR, just fyi.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I discovered the source of my confusion. Ping apparently makes a Gotoh knockoff trem for Guitar Fetish (GFS). Kind of like a cover of a cover.
                  Last edited by Hellbat; 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                    Gotoh is nicer than an OFR, just fyi.
                    Can you elaborate on that statement????
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

The Ping trem is nice. Made in Asia somewhere. Probably Korea where the Pro-Mod trems are made. When I first saw one I thought it was a real floyd, then I noticed the logo was etched in the chrome.
                      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Ko-oo-rea! Unless "Floyd Rose" is stamped into the upper body and "Made in Germany" is on the underside, it's South Korea. Must say that FMIC royally shafted the buyers by stating in the ads that Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1/2 2H had "Original Floyd Rose" on it, without mentioning that it's an MIK, not MIG. Same ol', same ol'.
                        "Hey man, it's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool!"

My Jacksons/Charvels:
                        '91 Jackson® (MIJ) Professional Limited Edition Phil Collen Sig Archtop in Black
                        '91 Jackson® USA Kelly KE-1F (FLOYD!)
                        '89 Jackson® USA Phil Collen Archtop in White (KAHLER!)
                        '88 Jackson® USA Granite Strat

Comment

Must say that FMIC royally shafted the buyers by stating in the ads that Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1/2 2H had "Original Floyd Rose" on it, without mentioning that it's an MIK, not MIG. Same ol', same ol'.
                          since they're the same specs, you have something against Korea?? I never felt ripped off buying a Korean Floyd on any of the resent charvels.

Comment

That is about the going rate for a ping floyd. They are actually getting harder to find unlike a few years ago. Another alternative is the Floyd Rose Special. Both are very good replacements for the real thing. I've used them both and never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by beardy View Post
                              Ko-oo-rea! Unless "Floyd Rose" is stamped into the upper body and "Made in Germany" is on the underside, it's South Korea. Must say that FMIC royally shafted the buyers by stating in the ads that Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1/2 2H had "Original Floyd Rose" on it, without mentioning that it's an MIK, not MIG. Same ol', same ol'.
                              Since it's not a licensed Floyd, whoever holds the manufacturing rights to it can move it to any facility on the planet and still claim it as "Original Floyd Rose". Unless/until certain legislation on country of origin labeling is passed regarding these items, no one is obligated to disclose that info.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X