DK2 Dinky R3 or R4 Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2 Dinky R3 or R4 Nut

I have finally decided to replace the JT580LP bridge on my DK2 and replace with Schaller FR.

R3 and R4 both have same dimensions but R3 is "narrow" width and R4 is "wider" width. Googling around resulted in R3 is for necks with binding, R4 is without binding.

So my question is on which one should I get?

http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Floyd-Rosereg-Tremolo-Chrome-P578C694.aspx has R2-R3-R4 nut sizes.

Thanks

Most Jacksons use an R3 stock, however, if your guitar came with the JT580LP chances are that an OFR nut will be too tall. Had this problem myself on a DXMG (same trem). If the original nut isn't too badly worn I would use it with some new string clamps.

Alternatively, you can have the nut shelf sanded down to fit OFR nuts or grind the nut down.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Leave the original nut on there unless you're doing a color change.
      Neck binding is irrelevant to what size nut you put on there.
      It's all about string spacing.
      Jackson puts the R3 nut on just about every production model guitar they sell that uses an OFR. With or without binding. (Does not include CS orders or some artist models)
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        Jackson puts the R3 nut on just about every production model guitar they sell that uses an OFR. With or without binding. (Does not include CS orders or some artist models)
        I would add, though, that some nuts like the R2 and R3 also differ in height and width.

The locking nuts on the MIJ imports are not standard R3s and are significantly shorter than an OFR R3. String spacing is the same as an R3 though.

Comment

I'm replacing the nut on my model 6. i assume this holds true for that as well? I should get an R3?

I currently have an R2, but it seems that is too narrow?

Stewmac doesn't list different sizes for their nuts, but in the comments it seems theirs would work...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa..._Nut_Sets.html
          Last edited by thebigz; 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post

I am still keeping the Chrome color. So R3 nut it is then.

Thanks.

Comment

for refernce if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
                I'm replacing the nut on my model 6. i assume this holds true for that as well? I should get an R3?

I currently have an R2, but it seems that is too narrow?

Stewmac doesn't list different sizes for their nuts, but in the comments it seems theirs would work...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa..._Nut_Sets.html
                R3 is for 1' 11/16 and R2 is for 1" 5/8

http://www.floydrose.com/pdf/FR%20NU...ART%202012.pdf

should have all the info you need

Comment

Originally posted by metaldood View Post

for refernce if it helps.
                  Yeah, it's just like my DXMG. R3 nut has the night spacing but wrong height for a direct replacement. No idea where one can find one that fits without modifications. If it isn't too banged up I would just use it as is.

Comment

Working...
                  X