Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refin question (Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refin question (Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post)

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this so if not sorry. I do have a question about guitar refins though. I have two guitars that I would like to basically get re-painted one being a Model 2 that I've stripped most of the paint off of, and a model 1a that when I bought it used had been abused a lot, big gash's in the paint and me being 20 and in a thrash band I gave it a bit of a finger nail polish for blood treatment.

Anyway since the only paint work I have had done was on basically a raw body I got from Warmoth I was curious if I sent the 1a to someone to paint would they expect me to strip the paint first? I mean I can see bare wood in a couple places so this thing probably needs to be stripped entirely down. To be honest after stripping the paint off the model 2 that's just far more work then I'm willing to put in on a basswood import body no matter how near and dear these guitars are to me.

Also (and I don't need direct quotes) I am curious what I should expect to pay to have the 1a stripped and re-painted? I don't need exact but it would be nice to know if this is really worth my while to do. I mean as it is it looks very death metal but I'm 42 I'm not really doing the bay area thrash/death metal thing anymore then again I don't want to break the bank on it. If nothing else this looks awesome hung on my wall.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Good questions. I have three projects - one that needs to be stripped, one that I stripped to the wood in places but not completely, and a neck thru that's never been painted.

Comment

I've never stripped a refin project myself, all the pro shops I've dealt with will do a turn-key job that way.

Comment

I can tell you from having two custom paint jobs done- one by our own Mike Learn and one by Dan Lawrence, that it varies. Some pro painters build in a charge for stripping in their base cost, some don't. Email the painter to get a quote. In some cases it will be listed in their websites FAQ section.

The other thing to consider is if there are some deep scratches or dings, you'll want them to fill those with something other than lots of primer -lol. Factor that into a possible up charge. In both cases, I had dings and divots filled on my axes but I don't recall any noteworthy cost increase.

Hope this helps.

Comment

My bro-in-law is doing my Rhoads, Model 1 and my DKMGT right now. He is an excellent artist and has done work for me in the past. I can put you in contact with him if you like. He is in Ga so there would be shipping involved.
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
            My bro-in-law is doing my Rhoads, Model 1 and my DKMGT right now. He is an excellent artist and has done work for me in the past. I can put you in contact with him if you like. He is in Ga so there would be shipping involved.
            Cool I will keep note of that, it won't be under after Feb though at the earliesst, I need to get my bills back in line first. I just want them in gloss black again like they were new. well ok i might go a different color on the model 2 but yeah pretty basic color wise
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
              Cool I will keep note of that, it won't be under after Feb though at the earliesst, I need to get my bills back in line first. I just want them in gloss black again like they were new. well ok i might go a different color on the model 2 but yeah pretty basic color wise
              Cool. Here's a few pics of the Rhoads he is doing for me. It is a GFS kit I bought a few years ago.

image.jpgimage.jpg
              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                Cool. Here's a few pics of the Rhoads he is doing for me. It is a GFS kit I bought a few years ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5328[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5329[/ATTACH]
                That looks cool, AW. Liking the design... Are you painting the head stock to match? What are you gonna put on for the neck and hardware?

Comment

As far as the stripping goes, I would find the painter first. Some like to take care of everything themselves. Depending on how bad the paint is, dings, etc. there may not be a need for a total strip. Also if you don't go all the way down to bare would it could potential save the painter from grain filling and sealing. There are a lot of variables. I would find a painter and talk to them first before "helping" them.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                    That looks cool, AW. Liking the design... Are you painting the head stock to match? What are you gonna put on for the neck and hardware?
                    Yep, matching headstock and chrome hardware.

Comment

That looks cool Alvin.
                      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                      X