X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Blackouts fit in RR1 ?

Hi,

I have a RR1 and a set of blackouts.

Problem is a mate of mine was going to put the new pickups in for me and he said the pickup cavity was too shallow for the blackouts and would need to be chiseled deeper to fit them.

Is he full of shit?

btw I dont have a soldering iron to do it myself

cheers,

Don't let him near the guitar with the chisel I put Blackouts in my 2008 SL2H and it was a perfect fit. They are actually a little bit smaller than EMGs, so there shouldn't be any problems unless the cavity is routed wrong somehow.

Comment

I have them in my SL2H as well, no issues.. can't say about the RR1 though, what do you have in there now? you should be able to lookup the dimensions.
      Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Hey,

Its stock at the moment, serial U22193.

I have blackouts in My Kv2's and it was a straight swap.

Comment

When I put them in a KV2 I had to round out the corners just slightly.

Comment

With a chisel...really?
            IF you need to alter the cavity, pls use a router and repaint at least with a couple of layers of shielding paint.
            Most likely it will be a clean swap though.

Comment

MY BLue Ghost Flame RR1 has a set of Blackouts with no modifications at all.

MrHiwatt
              Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
              RR1 Black
              RR1 Blue ghost flames
              Stealth EX
              Hamer Studio
              Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

It'll probably fit just fine. They're approximately the same size as EMGs. I've never had problems putting either in a guitar. As long as they aren't direct mounted, that's when it can get tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
                  It'll probably fit just fine. They're approximately the same size as EMGs. I've never had problems putting either in a guitar. As long as they aren't direct mounted, that's when it can get tricky.
                  Yes, if they're mounted directly in the body, you may have to route a little bit or shave the corners of the pickups a little.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Yes, if they're mounted directly in the body, you may have to route a little bit or shave the corners of the pickups a little.
                    The latter would be my first attempt to modify, since I'd rather ruina $80 p'up than a $2k guitar
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

its a direct mount one. i think this is the problem. the pickup is really shallow.

anyone know any other pickups that are shallow enough to fit in without hacking up the body??

would larger pickup rings help?? but then i guess i have to raise the trem otherwise it will rub.

this is fucked.

Comment

If it needs to be routed go with the other blackouts that look like normal pickups. Same sound just a different look. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ack-preamp-set
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                        X