Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Try These Color Coated Guitar Strings ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Try These Color Coated Guitar Strings ?

Comments ? Does the coating change the sound much ? Any one brand better than another ?

The black and the red dr ones looked real good but sucked real bad.

Comment

Black ones were freakin dead right outta the package
      Haters gonna hate
      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I like the Aroura colored strings, but not the DR.

Comment

I had a set of DR strings in black. They didn't last very long and started flaking the color off of them when they started sounding bad. I think they would make a guitar look good for selling purposes, other than that it's my opinion they are a waste of money.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

A guy who I do setups for brought me a pack of the black DR strings. I remember I took his guitar over to a friend's to string up and make adjustments to, and my friend went, "Wow, those look horrible. They make the guitar look like a toy."

And I agreed. Plus, they felt like shit.

Comment

Gimmick. If you're more worried how you look than how you play, you'll love them.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

my 25th anniversary S came with neon colored strings. they sucked. i changed them out and have never looked back!!
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Gimmick. If you're more worried how you look than how you play, you'll love them.
                  Indeed. I used DR Red Devils and they sound and feel like shit. But then again, DR strings generally suck.
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Thanks guys, that's why I was asking. If they don't feel, play and sound like regular strings, not interested in them.

I've got a build I'm working on that is all flame maple blood red with all black hardware. I thought the black strings might look cool since there isn't a single piece of crome/nickel on the entire guitar. I guess I'll pass.

Comment

I had black DR strings on my KV2 cause they looked cool initially, but to me they definitely sounded like they muted or dampened the sound or something

Pinch harmonics don't come across as well or as easily from my experience
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

They are okay sound wise, but feel quite different. And they don't seem to outlast uncoated strings. The coating typically flakes off where you pick and where the strings contact the frets.

If you were gigging and changing strings for each gig, they would be okay. Where I typically use them is on guitars with low/infrequent play time since the coating tends to keep them from corroding on the hanger/stand.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Meh, I had the DR Red Devils on a Charvette for awhile, Complete and utter shit, felt like somebody took a crayola marker and ran it down the length of the wound strings. Could've been a bad batch though.
                          I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

Screw coated strings! That's some Nu Metal crap!

Dean Markley Blue Steel, FTW!

Comment

Concur- tried em in green. Like DR a lot otherwise. But dead and felt like the coating was wiping off on my fretting hand....it wasn't, but it was flaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X