Jackson double locking tremolo substitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson double locking tremolo substitution

I've recently come across a blank not parts on it Jackson rr3 body salvaged from another guitar. And I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth buying the stock jt580 or other low profile stock double locking trem that it came with because it's pretty expensive even used. So I guess i should change it to an original Floyd rose or a licensed one. I'm really in no hurry to finish this project and I know that this question is just another coin in the well but what confuses me is whether if it is necessary to enlarge the stud holes or plug them and drill new ones. Some websites give you a distance but I don't know where to measure them. Either
    O---O or

O O
    _____
    the diameter of the post holes is around 10mm. The distance from the outer edge to the other outer edge is around 84mm. The distance from the inner edge to the other inner edge is 74mm. What do you guys think. Is it possible to use a OFR or an LFR with having to alter the post holes?

if it had a JT-580LP in there before, an OFR will drop right in.
    As for the studs, use the existing ones if they are still there. No need to swap them unless they are unstable.
    If for cosmetic reasons, see if you can find factory studs.
    Otherwise I suggest you plug the holes and redrill.
    -Rick

Comment

That's the thing. I have no studs. It's just the wooden body. So if I can locate the factory studs. Then they are compatible with an OFR without redrilling? what about a standard LFR. What is the main differences between the two?

Comment

The OFR stud bushing is a bit larger than the JT-580 studs, but JT-580 studs work just fine with an OFR.
        So if you cannot find any JT-580 studs, you should plug and redrill the holes for OFR studs.
        Trying to widen the existing holes for OFR studs is not without it's own risks. You can try it, but it is risky as you could cause a crack in the body.
        -Rick

Comment

Stud compatability

Are the studs for the jt580 and the jt585 the same. It's for an rr3. The part that gets sunk into the holes?

Comment

The stud bushing goes in the hole.
            Not sure about the 585... it's a newer trem. You can always try though.
            -Rick

Comment

Working...
            X