Extreme hybrids/custom gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme hybrids/custom gauges

I play half a step down with the lowest dropped to c#. I usually have a set of the Ernie ball slinky top heavy bottoms on there buyin looking for a lighter top than what they provide. Do any of you use custom gauges and/or build your own sets? I want a hybrid of 9's and 11's.

I usually do drop c# with 10-52 sets, but that's just me. I think EB also does a 9-46 but that's too light for my taste.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Try the DR DDT's They're designed for down tuning and have a higher tension. There's also the Dunlop heavt core also made for drop tuning. If you can still find a GHS zakk wylde set. The 10-60 would work too. You could also get a set of 9s of your choice and get a single 52 and drop of the 4th string.
      Gil

Comment

Building your own is the usually the way to go, since manufacturers really don't know shit about trying to get equal tension on their strings.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wouldn't really say they don't know about equalling string tension. I do a LOT of work with Ernie Ball and they certainly take all sorts of factors into consideration when designing their strings. Then they send them to me to test them in the field.

Comment

My preferred set is a GHS Boomer 9-46.

Comment

I almost always use D'addario 9-46, but I also love GHS Boomers. I picked them up in a music store because it was the only brand in stock. They were nice and bright and stayed in tune, had rich harmonics and kept their tone for a long time.
              Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
              Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Working...
              X