Strings - a few Q's..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings - a few Q's..

Quick background - I've always used D'Addario 9-42 and never seemed to have an issue but recently, I realize how loose and flubby the lower strings are and figured I'd try some 10-46 on the next string change. Plus, I've never put much stock in different strings sounding very different before...

Scenario #1 - Thursday I was playing my Kelly XL after comparing tones and finding the Kelly is the most driven and focused sounding of my guitars. I pulled the D&G strings from the bridge (oops..) so changed the strings for the first time (had it 4 years or so, rarely played it). It had 9-42 but don't know what brand. I put my normal 9-42 D'Addario XL set and now it seems the tone is weaker. Sounds not a full or cutting as it did. Almost scooped in the mids and too bright compared to what it sounded like.

Scenario #2 - One of my Ibanez RGT's had a fret issue so yesterday I did a level/crown/polish and restrung with a set of DR Dimebag Hi-Voltage 10-46 strings I had in the closet. Had new 9-42 D'Addario XL's on it before. Now it is the best sounding, most cutting and fullest tone guitar I have..

Sooo.... Do you think.... (Choose as many as you think)
    A - The Kelly had a different brand of 9-42's that just sound better than the D'Addarios?
    B - The Kelly's old strings were duller sounding making for more balance in the sound?
    C - The 10-46 strings will always sound fuller and more focused?
    D - DR brand sound better than D'Addario?
    E - Other??

I like the heavier bottom strings but want the lighter tops so I'm gonna go with 9-46 sets next but want to hear some opinions first..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Of course changing out 4 year old strings for something new is gonna seriously alter the tone. New strings will be much, much brighter. Usually, some of that high end brightness goes away after an hour or two of playing.

10's will have better tone. I use 9's because they're easier to fret and bend, but they also tend to buzz easier. The more clean channel you play, the more 10's will sound better.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Not really answer Warlok's questions, but just some random thoughts

I used to buy into "bigger strings = bigger tone", but Tony Iommi used slim strings and had no issues with a huge tone.

I use GHS Boomers. Used 9-46 hybrids for a long time, then got Carvins (everyone tells me they are GHS Boomers) cheap but had to get 9s for long scale and 10s for short scale.

Going back to 9-46 Boomers as I scored a good deal on a bunch.

Action height can also cause your tone to take a shit. Too low and the strings can't "ring out" and you will have a crappy tinny sound. I did this recently with an SG I restrung for the first time in 13 years. It sounded like crap AFTER putting on new strings. Recently I picked up another SG which sounded like my old one used to. Raised up the action and hurray! Tone is back.

Comment

I know you may think this sounds funny, but the counterfeit market has even hit strings...and more specificy, D'Addario strings. I thought this would only be possible on ebay with a worldwide market but I was wrong. I've used these strings for years and have always bought sets of 10 when on sale. Other times, I would just run in a buy a single set. Fast forward and I'm looking at a guitar of mine on a wall and noticed the ball ends had faded. I've never seen this before ever and realized that strings were counterfeit. I can't recall where I bought them, but they were at a legit store.

http://www.daddario.com/upload/DABR_...wRes_15727.pdf

Comment

Well, the set that was on the Kelly was still pretty chimey before I changed them. Much more than I'd figure a 4+ year old set so I question how "dead" they were. And I didn't even need to adjust anything as far as action either.. Who knows why the sound changed so much I guess.. I buy the 10 packs of D'Addarios and know the sets I have are real (looked at Amerturk's link and everything there confirms that too). As I haven't had any problems, haven't even broke a string in many years, I guess I'll stick with the D'Addarios but will grab a 10 pack of 9-46 and call it good.. For now..
          Thanks gents.

Comment

There's really a big difference with new and old strings. For guitar, I'd always use a new set for or two or three rehearsals before playing out. For bass, I'd play three or four shows on new strings then move those to my backup bass. Old strings even feel like old dead strings... they're muted and lifeless with very little spring, just tension.

Comment

I used to use them but must have run into a bad batch and I gave up on them and went back to EB's
              DR's always worked great but I ran into some really bad sets of those too.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Pretty much what everyone has said.
                New string do make a big difference. I can't stand new strings..a couple of hours later, they are fine. I have used several brands over the years and always go back to EB's. I'm using 10-52's now and love em.

Comment

Maybe just a bad set.
                  Heavier strings give more tone to my ear.

GHS or EB are good for me.
                  Whichever is on sale.
                  I have had problems with EB ball ends breaking on Kahler Pro, so GHS on those.
                  For me, now days, 10s on 25.5, 11s on 24.75.
                  Models
                  The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                  I dont need furniture.
                  If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                  If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                  And rock that sucker.

Comment

I went with a 10 pack of D-Addario EXL125 9-46. Been playing the 10-46 on the Ibanez for a few days and the higher strings have a bit too much tenson to me. BUt I definitely like the extra beef on the lowers. I think I'll like these. Thanks for the opinions.

Comment

Regarding fake strings, if the medium sized big name supermarkets in the UK are selling knock off cigarettes without their knowledge, I should think it is safe to assume that they are everywhere.
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of D'Addarios feel. I've used Dean Markley 9-42 for over 30 years and have only had afew minor issues with them. I had 2 strings lose thier ball ends. and one was kinked in the package and broke when i put it on. That's a pretty great track record for 30 years. There are a round core string vs D'Addarios hex core. Hex core is brighter but is also stiffer feel. dean Markleys are smooth, bend well and are strong. Have great tone and have lasted longer than everything ive tried. including DR's,GHS EB and D'Addario, among others. Anyone who has played my guitars always asks me what the strings are and say they feel amazing.
                        Gil

Comment

I always keep coming back to the Ernie Ball strings. I loved the DR coated, but for $12 a set, when you have more than 1 or 2 guitars to string, that sucks. . I can get 2 or 3 sets of the EBs for that price. I do not like the DR uncoated, they just never sounded right to my ear. GHS were ok, but again just not quite the right tone & feel for me. I have always hated D'Addario strings. I remember back in the lat 80s early 90s I couldn't go a couple of sessions without busting the damn high E string. I always bought 5 extra high E string singles per set I purchased. The other thing that bothered me about them was they sounded too bright, then they sounded ok for an hour, then crap/mud.

Regardless of the scale length, I flip flop between the 10-46 & 9-46 sets. I think if I played more than I do now, I would probably stay with the 10-46. Sometimes the lower tension of the 9-46 on the E, B, & G strings just feels right.
                          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

The reasons everyone stated here are the same as I feel with D'Addarios a why I stayed with them. Haven't broke a string in ages, I have a bunch of guitars to re-string (including all my friends' guitars ), and like the bright tone. Honestly, I don't remember a big difference in tone between the D-Addarios and the EBs (which I used to use ages ago). I did break more but that was the crap hardware on the cheap shit guitars I had then. I like the tone of these 10-46 DRs but I think thats the size more than brand. I definitely like the tension of the E,A,D strings from the 10-46 set but the G,B, and especially E are too tight. I think the D'Addario 9-46 will be right in my wheelhouse.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't really notice any difference between the D'Addarios and EBs except the EB's always broke and the D'Addarios would get old and need replacing before they broke. I used to also use DRs brights (I still do for bass) and I've tried a bunch of other brands. D'Addarios were always the cheapest and easiest to get 10-packs of, so that's primarily why I use them. I used to get 10 packs for $20 out the door at Guitar Center. Not anymore, but that was primarily why I used them.

Comment

Working...
                              X