Mesa Dual Rectifier suddenly shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Dual Rectifier suddenly shut down

I was rehearsing with my band, and my Mesa Dual Rectifier suddenly shut off. I looked in back, and 1 of the tubes was glowing bright. Problem is, we were a little rushed on time to rehearse before a show that night, and I don't remember which tube it was. It won't power up at all now, and i don't own a tube tester. Is this definitely a tube issue, or something beyond that? I don't have the money for tubes, let alone to take it in to a shop. Although I will have to find a way to come up with the money to fix this somehow, in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for any advice!

David
    www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

I don't know that amp, but the amps I own have fuses. It usually blows to save more expensive parts in the amp. If the fuse is blown, and you replace it and it blows again, it's likely you need new tubes, because tubes are generally the part that fail and take out a fuse.

I say "it's likely" because you never know if it might be worse.

Comment

This actually sounds really similar to a problem my buddy had about a year ago with his Mesa Dual Rec. His amp totally shut down and wouldn't power up at all. He took it to a shop and they replaced his tubes. It's been fine ever since.

Comment

Yes its most likely a tube issue. Mesa tubes are prematched and tested for thier tolerances in voltage. So no biasing neededm jyst pop in a new pair. If the offending tube is one of the outside tubes. Just pull them for emergency use. If its an inside tube swap the oairs outside to inside and vise versa. This will get ur amp up and running for emergencues. (Ie a gig that same night) then when u can get some new tubes. However if after u swap the tubes the same position is still glowing hotter than its a cracked tube socket. The fuse for the dual rec should be a 4 amp slow blow.
        Gil

Comment

Call these guys; www.eurotubes.com

Outstanding dudes that will actually speak to you and walk you through the trouble. They are also super fast at shipping if you need it. I'm lucky enough to live about 1 mile away and always show up at the door when I need something.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
            However if after u swap the tubes the same position is still glowing hotter than its a cracked tube socket. The fuse for the dual rec should be a 4 amp slow blow.
            Gil
            Or bad bias resistor, or a blown screen resistor, or...a zillion other things.
            Just get a new set of Mesa branded tubes, replace the fuse, and see what happens.
            I've been through my phase with JJ, I won't mess with them again if I can help it.
            Winged C was great for a while but now you have to watch who makes them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              Or bad bias resistor, or a blown screen resistor, or...a zillion other things.
              Just get a new set of Mesa branded tubes, replace the fuse, and see what happens.
              I've been through my phase with JJ, I won't mess with them again if I can help it.
              Winged C was great for a while but now you have to watch who makes them.
              Agreed. Old Wing C's were great.

Comment

Always carry spare tubes and fuses. It would at least allow you to finish the gig or rehearsal. It's either that or a spare head.
                "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Cyg yes agreed. That's just what I was told by mesa and the most common causes. Also a user servicable repair.

Comment

Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
                    Always carry spare tubes and fuses. It would at least allow you to finish the gig or rehearsal. It's either that or a spare head.
                    Excellent advice.
                    Good tube amps are worth the extra attention and $$ but you have to pay to play.

Comment

If it won't power up at all, I'd look at the rectifier tubes.

Comment

Pull the recto tube and switch to silicon diode aka bold iirc. Turn it on. If it powers up and didnt before then the recto tubes are bad. But u dont need them to run the amp. Just use the diode recto. I still say its a bad power tube.

Comment

Is there any indication of power at all?

Comment

Working...
                          X