P/U orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/U orientation

On my M5, if both HBs are rotated 180* horizontal, then their tonal relationship to each other shouldn't be affected...correct? What if just one is rotated?

One rotated puts them out of phase when combined.
    Shouldn't make a difference when both are rotated.

I guess the question is...why do it?
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 12-21-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      I guess the question is...why do it?
      Well, I guess since P 'ups are amplifiers
      in a humbucker the second coil boosts the first while adding it's own character from its location under the strings
      I would assume switching their positions would have an effect on the total tonal character
      like switching 2 cascading equalizers both set at slightly different (boosted) frequencies
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Rotating pups does not change the phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post

Well that explains why I didn't get that sound when I rotated the JB in my RR1
          (which I did to see if I could temper the highs in the bridge púp a little)
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I wasn't as detailed. 20 years ago I added a dimarzio 'Fred" PU in the bridge slot. I took apart the stock pickup and added a single coil to the bridge humbucker. !/2" longer pole pieces under one coil. The reason for spinning the humbucker is, the longer pole piece allen screw heads fit better in one coil than the other. I added a push-pull switch to split the neck HB. Rewired it for combinations I liked. All was fine until a wire broke for the single coil. So the rest of it was in good phase. I rewired the whole thing lately and rotated the whole HB to make things fit and work sonically better than before, now the neck HB is the only thing in phase. I could have made a mistake in wiring, but I wondered if I just rotate the neck HB to match the bridge HB, then I might get the better phase back. I'm not taking the current neck or bridge pickup apart to rotate the coils, just the whole HB.

I posted a pic of the wiring diagram. The purple tilted pickup represents the single coil under the coil closest to the bridge of the bridge HB. The neck, stock HB and the bridge "Fred" HB have different hot lead colors specs maybe?

Last edited by LoRydr; 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Damn.
              What about installing them upside down?

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                Damn.
                What about installing them upside down?

Doing so means they only work with Cygnus amps
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I ended up having to reverse the polarity of each coil of the dimarzio PU, against the factory specs. But it sounds full and fine at this point.

Comment

All you had to do was reverse the hot and the ground to correct the phase.

Comment

Working...
                    X