OH NO...I screwed up...HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH NO...I screwed up...HELP!

I took my JT-6 apart the other night to give it a good cleaning and lube it. It wasn't until I was putting it back together that I noticed the 6 string lock screws (that lock the strings into the saddle) were 3 different lengths (2 of each length). I don't remember reading anywhere about this nor could I find anything on the internet. Can anyone help me with which length cap screw goes where? :dunno:

I promise I will never make this mistake again.

Post a pic along with the measured lengths of all three screws.
    Mitch
    AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

They should all be the same length so a previous owner probably replaced some of them with non original parts. It shouldn't matter which screws the saddles are paired with. You can buy a set of 6 matching replicas at fretsonthenet.

Comment

Lay the trem down and lay all the screws in order as they would go in. Put the longer screws in the saddles that are closest to the pivot point / trem stud, and put all the shortest screws in the saddles that are closest to the fine tuners. Problem solved.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've owned the guitar since new, so no one has changed screws. I just found this in the original JT-6 instruction manual. Yep, 3 different lengths...but not where they go.

Comment

Longest lock both E strings, then the two shortest inside them (A & B), lastly the mediums D & G.

Dunno why. Just pulled a few apart for ya.
            Mitch
            AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

4452 Airport Dr Ontario CA 91761
              714-986-8999
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well I'll be damned, I just checked one of my spares and it does have different length screws. I either never noticed that before, or maybe I forgot. I wonder what the logic behind that is?? :think:

Comment

Originally posted by modelseriesman View Post
                  Longest lock both E strings, then the two shortest inside them (A & B), lastly the mediums D & G.

Dunno why. Just pulled a few apart for ya.
                  That was pretty solid, dude. Class move.

Comment

I agree. Thats why this is the place.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      4452 Airport Dr Ontario CA 91761
                      714-986-8999
                      For a good time call
                      Mitch
                      AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Many thanks to all that responded!

I'm with Axewielder...I never noticed the length difference before or heard anyone ever mention it. Could be because I've never fully disassembled my JT-6 before...but you would think by now it would be common knowledge. Live and learn!

Comment

Shortest on Low E and G. Then staggering. i.e. the next shortest on A and B and the longest on D and High E.
                          This way they appear to be all the same length while the saddles themselves are staggered High E and D closest to the neck, B and A back further, and G and Low E back the farthest.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                          X