builders and business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• builders and business?

How hard is it to get into the business of building guitars? I have some cool ideas and am still young at 21 years old. I would love to build guitars for a living. Right now I just work on my own guitars, but this economy scares me. Is it s worthwhile investment?

I'd suggest doing it on the side for a while. If you try to rely on it as your sole source of income at this time, just trying to break into the business, you're gonna be in for a hard time at least until you get established. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your work, but don't jump in the deep end without testing the water first.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

That's kind of what I planned. I'm thinking I should slowly build up my tool base for now? I planned on using a garage as a workshop.

Comment

Builders with a good reputation have 2 year backlogs, even in this economy, so the opportunity is out there.

I think the problem is that when starting out you'll have no reputation so you'll spend a lot of time trying to get the word out there and most likey selling guitars at cost (or a loss) just to get people to take a chance on you. I think this is when many guys get discouraged and give up.

If you are prepared to do it for the long haul and have (or can develop) the skills to be a great luthier, then shoot for the stars and follow your dream!

Comment

How hard is it to get into business? Not. How hard it is to support yourself solely by building guitars? Very. A friend of mine wrote a FANTASTIC article about building guitars for a living and with his permission, I've hosted at my site. It's easily one of the most comprehensive answers to your question.

http://www.sullyguitars.us/dear-sull...g-guitars.html

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Wow thanks guys. I definately don't have the tools to build right now, so that's where ill start. The passion and obsession mentioned in the article is something that's been overwhelming me for years. So after my current enlistment ill get into some college and look into the business side of things. I've always been very mechanicaly inclined, so I believe ill catch on fairly quickly as far as actual construction goes. Hell, I've even sat down and designed trems, neck joints and the like. I've learned a lot from you, sully, and many others.

I'd rather be broke and enjoy life, rather than how ii am now. Miserably working my ass off for no apparent reason, other than a paycheck. Lol

Comment

I would try and volunteer for a local luthier if you can't enroll in a luthier course. Otherwise, the other guitar guys already have 82 years more experience/knowledge than you.

That imparted knowledge is what is going to make you an 'in demand' luthier. Don't expect to pick up the expertise necessary on, say Google or StewMac's site.

BTW, I'm right there with you. There's nothing I can think of that would be a more satisfying career. Just keep playing around to convince yourself it's what you want, but seriously consider getting a mentor, it doesn't need to be a formal education with a diploma either... just shop experience with the tricks of the trade.

Comment

Hmm, didnt think of volunteering. I might ask the local shop here. I know back home, they all got ran out by guitar center, and of course, dropping the quality of their merchandise and selection helped.

Might have to get my brother involved as free labor. Haha.

Comment

I love working on guitars and when i got good enough i started working on friends guitars. It grew from there. I finally got the opportunity to be a tech for GC. I worked my ass off and self trained on the job for what i didn't already know.( I didn't have the money to get the tools needed so i improvised. I used what i had and got basic tools at Sears and other hardware stores etc.) So with the tools provided me by my job i learned and learned and studied and practiced. I'm now the area trainer and show the other guys how to do things. If you really want to be a tech\luthier follow your dream. Get in at ground level with a local luthier and learn and absorb what he/she tells you. I learned a few thing just by watching a friend of mine who is a great luthier and practiced and honed my skills. You could even apply at a local GC for a tech position and learn on the job like i did. disclaimer Im not bragging i'm say this in support. Being a tech was my hobby but now it's my career and i love it. Good luck
                  Gil

Comment

Working...
                  X