4x12 cabinet wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x12 cabinet wiring

I am replacing the speakers in my old Behringer 4x12 cab with Celestions and am completely lost now.
    The cab is stereo/mono switchable.
    The original speakers that were in it were each 4 ohm.
    The back of the cab says in stereo mode, 8 ohm/channel and 16 ohm in mono.

The new Celestions are each 8 ohm.
    When I test with my multimeter, the readings I get are:
    stereo: ~12.7 ohm
    mono: ~26.7 ohm

What the hell is going on?
    Acording to the diagram I have, 4x4 ohm speakers should produce 8 oh/channel in stereo and 4 ohm in mono.
    It says for my 4x8 ohm speakers, I should get 16 ohm/channel and 8 ohm mono.
    Those readings make sense to me, but are not what I am getting.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the factory stereo/mono switch is wired up differently?
    Last edited by DalyTek; 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

What are you going to do with the Jensens out of the Behringer cab?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well, for now they are back in there, because I don't really want to run a 32ohm load on my amp.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I might have missed something, but... The cab with 4 each 4-ohm spreaker was 8/8 stereo (each side wired separately in series) or 16 mono (all 4 speakers in series). If you just swap the speakers to 8-ohm and don't change the wiring, each impedence rating is doubled. Hence 16/16 stereo, 32 mono (measuring with ohmmeter will have slightly lower measurements than actual impedence). You have to replace them with the same ohm rating speakers or rewire the cab. This is what I go by http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html , but the Behringer switch seems not to be wired the same as the switched diagrams. Yours must be all in series, those diagrams are parallel and series/parallel.
        Last edited by warlok; 11-27-2012, 02:25 AM.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

You can either wire the speakers in series, in parallell or in series/parallell.
          Of course you get different impedance for each type of wiring.
          Also when you you meassure with a multimeter you are not meassuring impedance but
          resistance and the resistance is allways a bit lower than the actual impedance.
          There are numerous pages on cab wiring, but here is one : http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html

Comment

Speaker Ohms aren't resistance, it's inductance. A multimeter is going to measure resistance, not inductance.

Looks like it was wired in series originally. If you wired 2 pairs in parallel it would be a similar end result. Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel = 4 ohms. So one parallel pair per side wired in series for mono would total 8 ohms.

So with those speakers you are looking at either 16/32 or 4/8 operation depending on the wiring configuration. Putting a higher impedance load on an amp (within reason) isn't going to be harmful to it, but going under can cause bad things to happen.
            Last edited by Hellbat; 11-27-2012, 02:35 AM.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
            X