Pickups With One Conductor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups With One Conductor

I purchased a pair of humbuckers off of ebay for a Washburn Dime 333 that I wanted to put back together and sale. I get the Washburn humbuckers and the wiring only has one conductor. No grounding, drain or shielding. Just one stranded wire.
    I have not looked inside the pickups to see if this was a bad attempt to extend the lead but is it possible the pickups were manufactured this way? If this is correct, what is done about grounding?
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Sounds odd to me. Does it have a metal braided covering? If so, that's your ground.

Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

No braid, just a vinyl(?) outer jacket. Looks like normal hook up wire.

Comment

Ok, and under the outer jacket, there's no braid covering the hot output wire?
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Nothing other than the conductor strands under the jacket. No foil wrap shielding, no bare drain wire, no smaller wires with the separate jackets. No splicing between the pickup and the lead's end. I carefully removed the outer jacket 1" back from the end just to be sure there were no other wires/conductors. All is there is the outer jacket and the 18-24 strands.
          Tonight I will pull the ribbon from around the pickup to see if it is just a hack job trying to add extra lead.

Comment

Could be that you ground it to the casing? Not seen it before but theoretically it would be possible.

Comment

Sheilded pickguard with these pickups and they grounded them that way. Only thing I can think of. Good luck man.
              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                Sheilded pickguard with these pickups and they grounded them that way. Only thing I can think of. Good luck man.
                He says the guitar is a Washburn Dimebag model... they wouldn't have pickguards.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh, I guess I didn't understand that they were actually Washburn pickups. I thought they were just run or the mill pickups, for the Washburn.
                  I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                  X