Humidity control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity control

I need to control the humidity of my bedroom. Just moved into a new house and within a week the relief on my jackson has increased. Winter is nigh, so I need some good equipment/methods for keeping humidity in an ideal range. What do you guys do?

Have a whole-house humidifier installed on your furnace. I had this done a couple of years ago, and it has made a world of difference. Well worth the money, only a few hundred bucks. And benefits your health and home, not just your guitars.

Comment

Hmm. So does that have a hydrometer that keeps the humidity within a certain range? Cost a lot?

Comment

Ok just read up a bit. One thing I didn't see was cost. I'll look into it, but for now, any suggestions for a really good humidifier that is auto controlled for just a single room would be great.

Comment

I run a dehumidifier and I have a hygrometer that I use to watch the humidity. You have to be careful with hygrometers, though. For whatever reason they are almost never calibrated correctly and can be off by more than 10%. If you're lucky it will be off by maybe 5%. The last thing you want to do is set a device to 50% humidity when it's off by 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannibal Corpse View Post
            Hmm. So does that have a hydrometer that keeps the humidity within a certain range? Cost a lot?
            Yes. There's a couple of different routes you can take, depending on how much you want to spend. All typically have an on/off sensor, which reads the incoming humidity and gets triggered "on" when the reading is too dry. Some just have a manual knob on them to adjust the humidity level up or down, depending on where you want it set. (You'll set this higher in winter, lower in spring/fall. So you'll need to buy a small portable hydrometer, which is pretty cheap.) Other more sophisticated models will tie right into a programmable thermostat, if it supports hydrometer readings. With that, you can program the humidity just like your temperature settings.

Don't remember exactly how much I spent but, IIRC, all-in it was under $500-ish. Give your local heating/plumbing outfits a call for some quick and dirty ballpark quotes.

Comment

Ok I have one cheapie hygrometer and I may buy a second plus a cheap little humidifier to get me through winter. Thanks for the help.

Comment

even good hydrometers have a +- of 5%, Aprilaire and honeywell make nice inexpensive humidifier nortec and neptronics make higher end units, as does dristeam and reensaire, but those are not cheap $2-3000 with all of the controls and safeties. I do high end HVAC in NYC, and install these units all the time. honestly in my guitar room i use a simple room humidifier with no problems, anywhere in the 30-45% RH range is good.

Comment

I run a humidifier. I only have to use it in the Winter time. Anytime it gets below 45%.
                  "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I run a humidifier. I only have to use it in the Winter time. Anytime it gets below 40-45%.
                    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I just wipe lemon oil all over my axes when winter hits.
                      Works great and smells fresh.

Comment

My electrics are fine, My acoustics i use the Planet waves humidipack. they work fantastic. Other ideas are fish tanks. Even a fish tank with just water in it with an air stone to make the water evaporate. Keep the room warm and it will raise the humidity level. Get a hydrometer and keep it near the guitars to make ssure they are around 50%. especially for acoustics, A ten gallon fish tank is about 10 bucks, an air pump is about 10-20 bucks and airline tubing and an air stone is about 5 bucks. So for less than 50 bucks you can have a small room humidifier. If you need the moisture to travel farther put a fan behind the tank blowing towards the guitars.
                        Gil

Comment

If you have dry air, just leave your soaking wet work boots, pants, jacket, socks, hat, underpants and towel lying in you guiitar room after a days work. Wet towel and not opening the windows or staying inside alot also help. Here I have the reverse problem, finally got the humidity down to 50-60 with the central heating on now its starting to get frosty outside, it's been 80% inside and raining all year, a few days of frost are something to look forward to, before it starts raining again next year.

If it's a new house, was anybody living there before? All vacant houses get very humid with no windows open/air con/radiators, it's normal, it'll dry out with use fairly rapidly. Hell, the timber in houses for sale over here is rotten if they having sold within 6 months, luckily you still have a brick shell on a plot the size of a postage stamp that is still worth £700,000, no matter what condition the house is in.

Do the rust test, go down the dollar sore and buy something metal with cheap chrome on it. Over here it lasts about 2 days before the rust starts to appear, in 4 months there is no chrome left, it is all pitted, same with electrical equipment, wrecks it. You wouldn't believe would you, like the bloody tropics or something. Of course I could spend $3000 on gas a year, but it seems like such a waste of money.
                          Last edited by ginsambo; 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM.
                          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                          X