Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck heel truss rod adjustment mod?

Guys,

I am looking to mod my two Pro Mods in respect to adding a truss rod adjustment which can be done without removing the neck. I've seen it on Custom Shop Charvels and I think Music Man has it too.

One way is mentioned here:

get an american standard guitar truss rod nut (http://www.amazon.com/Fender-America...ef=pd_sim_MI_1), which will fit right into vintage-type necks. it has a 1/8" hex hole rather than the cross-slot.

rout a round notch in the body and pickguard adjacent to that nut, maybe a 1/2" across and deep.

finally, get a 1/8" hex wrench and saw off the short end just past the curve.
    Would this fit/work on a Pro Mod truss rod? Or is there something better?

I don't adjust these necks to make it worth it. It's a quartersawn neck after all and shouldn't be moving that much.

Comment

I don't know if they use dual or single acting rods, but I'd be surprised if those necks don't have dual acting truss rods in them. If that's the case, the adjustment nut is part of the rod and doesn't unscrew.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Damn, that's not hopeful.

I am not sure what's going on with my USA one, I was great, then it seemed to have more relief and I spent a while adjusting it while still using it and putting up with the "not as good as before" action.

The other week I dialled it in fantastically and was happy. Used it for two gigs. Put it away and now I swear it's got more relief again. I would just love it if I could make a small turn without all the effort of removing the neck. I don't know why it's moving, this isn't a problem around here.

The other is MIJ and I'm still setting it up for use, it's just a pain to undo it all, to test each tweak of the rod.

So Custo Shop guitars would have dual action rods, but setup with the parts to adjust without taking the neck off? I'm totally cool with routing out some wood, so I may just end up routing a channel, but I would prefer to route for something nicer.

Comment

Just route the body and cut a channel in the pick guard.Not sure if you have enough room to do that.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

They are San Dimas models so no pick guard to worry about. I'll take them to my local guy, probably do the black MIJ one before the USA Flame Up.

Comment

Haven't taken them to my guitar guy yet but the neck on my current main player has not moved again since it did recently, so I'm bummed that it did when it could have stayed perfect.

I would still like to tweak them easier in the future, that will just be very handy.

Comment

This has been solved, I am picking up the guitar later on. I was all like "just hack it up and do what you gotta do to get me access", he was like, "lets see if there's a better way".

Turns out there was and the solution is very elegant.

Comment

Ok, the fix for the Japanese made San Dimas, without pickup rings is the the front pickup now has had the bottom routed out and it sits on foam with springs inside the screws, so you can move it down and out of the way. The standard carve in the end of the fingerboard has been enlarged and I think there is a small bit of routing to increase the circle of access in the body, but I can't really tell. I think he said he did that.

Now, the truss rod adjustment nut does come off and you can replace it with whatever you like, including the type that Ernie Ball use and that I've seen on some Custom Shop Charvels. What we have done is fit a hex head on there so we can use a hex headed wrench to do the adjustment, as you have more of a working angle to use.

So now I can adjust the truss rod as easy as pie, and I didn't need to carve out any of the end of the fingerboard etc, the guitar looks stock.

After I play this weekend I am getting the same done to the Flame Up, which has pickup rings, but it should be fine.

I also had the rear pickup lowered as it was way too close to the strings in the factory setup, but as it's screwed in it needed a little help to go lower.

I'm looking forward to setting this one up now.

Comment

Working...
                  X