Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd issues

Hey guys,
    maybe this is has been asked before but i'm a bit lost here.
    i recently restrung my dkmg with 10's (normally 9's). Rebalanced the floyd etc. but it seems sticky i.e. when used it doesn't return to pitch properly (stays high when i push down on it, stays low when i pull back on it).
    Not sure how to deal with this. I'm not a big whammy user so the knife edges seem in good shape.
    Any help would be great.
    Power chords...what more do you need?!

Try a little lube on the knife edges. Big Bends Nut Sauce or in a pinch a little chapstick or some WD-40 applied with a toothpick to avoid oversaturating it.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

+1
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Make sure the locknut pads aren't not slipping. With it locked down, push down on the strings behind the locknut and verify with a tuner that the strings aren't pulling sharp. Tighten the lock nuts until they don't slip. This issue causes the most tuning problems and many guitarists don't know to do this.

Comment

And just because it's been seen so many times, make sure the locknut pads are on the correct direction. Apex of the pad inline with the strings..
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Get new, better and higher tension springs. + all of the above.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Make sure the locknut pads aren't not slipping.
              He should make sure they're slipping? I think that might make his problems worse.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                He should make sure they're slipping? I think that might make his problems worse.
                You didn't not get me on that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  You didn't not get me on that one!
                  Me too axe you beat me too it.

Comment

+1 on trem springs. Often overlooked. They don't last forever if you dig the whammy bar , or if inferiors were in it to start. Also the lube thing is what I do every string change on the posts/edges and try to always be patient when having to adjust the Floyd up or down. The edges take a pounding if you cheat and don't ease up the string tension and just start cranking on the posts..

Comment

Won't hurt the post to adjust them under tension.
                      Not a bad idea to replace the springs tho'.

Comment

Hurts the knife edges. Especially licensed Floyds which "steel" isn't very hard.

Comment

Replace the pivot studs. They probably have a notch dug into them or a burr.

Comment

Working...
                          X