emg 85 in the bridge and emg in the neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emg 85 in the bridge and emg in the neck

any experience emg 85/ bridge and emg 60/ neck? very violin sounding, no need a boast pedal with this set up, i have this in my Kelly XL Profesionnal.

I love the 85, and am not generally a huge fan of the 81. Though having said that, I do have a couple of guitars where the 81 seems to work better for some reason.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I love the EMG 85 in the bridge. All of my 6 stringers with EMGs has an 85 in the bridge.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Only ever had 81/bridge 85/neck. When my warlock rebuild is done i'm gonna try it the other way, seems very popular.

81 in the bridge on the DK2 sounds superb, must be the alder.

Comment

What about running two 85's?

Comment

I use 85/bridge and 89/neck with the pull/push for splitting the 89.
            Works perfect for me...
            uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

I have an 85 in my single hum Warslinger and its an awesome thick rhythm tone. And I have an 81 in the bridge of my Soloist Pro and it's also killer. An 85 was too boomy in the bridge and an 81 was too thin in the neck of my DKMG when I tried swapping them, but sounded good the "normal" way. I agree it's different in each guitar.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I prefer the 85 over the 81. The 85 in the bridge with a volume and tone always got me a nice "Dave Murray soloing in the neck position" tone (Run To The Hills, Trooper, etc), especially with the tone knob backed off a bit.

But, believe it or not, I much prefer the EMG HZ3 with an Afterburner on about 3 in a Warrior. Without the AB they're a bit weak, but any higher than 4-5 and it just turns to noise.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I always thought the 81 was too shrill in the bridge. I run the 85 (b) & 81 (n) on the King V. The DXMG is a 89 in both positions with both pckups splittable.
                  KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                  I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    But, believe it or not, I much prefer the EMG HZ3 with an Afterburner on about 3 in a Warrior. Without the AB they're a bit weak, but any higher than 4-5 and it just turns to noise.
                    Intersting. I may try to get an Afterburner and install it in a DXMG. Do you use a tone at all? If not, I'll just replace the tone with the AB.

Comment

Truth be told, i've only had the 81/85 in mahogany guitars, but still it made me switch the 81 to neck and 85 to bridge in both
                      the 85 being way too boomy and overpowering in the neck and the 81 being thin/shrill in the bridge while the other way around was a much better (preferred) balance
                      I'd think 81/81 or 81b/60n may not be so bad
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

All my guitars (KE2, CS Kelly, KVX10 & LTD EC1000) have 81 bridge/60 neck sets - perfect for me! I've played the 85, I like it but it's a bit more rough-sounding, the 81 is a little cleaner - which is exactly why some people don't like them
                        Last edited by skullfunkerry; 03-15-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I've only had the 81 in the bridge. My DK1 should have the new style clips so I think I might try switching them to see how I like the 85 in the bridge. When did EMG start doing the clips?

Comment

I've been telling people for years that the 85 in the bridge is the way to go with EMGs, with either a 60 or 81 in the neck.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

85 all the way.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X