Pickups for RR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for RR3

I’m changing out the pickups in my RR3 (I just sold the EMG’s). A buddy of mine raves about Seymour Duncan TB-6. I’m considering trying that for the bridge. For the neck I’m thinking maybe the Seymour Duncan SH-PG1 Pearly Gates. I actually have never had any Duncans in any of my guitars, I've always used some flavor of Dimarzio. I'm not completely sold on the Duncans I just thought I would try something different.

Anyone have experience with these two?

Other recommendations?
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Can't help you there, but I put a DiMarzio X2N in mine and loved it

Comment

I personally LOVE the Pearly Gates in the neck. It's a fantastic sounding pickup, and I doubt you'd be disappointed. I've also head that the Duncan TB-11 (Custom Custom) is an excellent match in the bridge.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Yeah I've only heard good things about the pearly..the shit is expensive though...man...

I'll have to check out the X2N and the TB-11

Comment

I have had great results with the D'Activator in the bridge position...love that tone!
          "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
          ENGL Powerball II
          Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
          Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
          Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
          1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
          1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
          2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
          2011 Jackson DK2M Black
          1987 Charvel Model 2 White
          2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
          1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
          1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
          2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
          2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
          2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
          2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
          2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
          2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
          2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
          1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Only thing PG about the Pearly Gates is it's nickname. Gotta pay to play but you won't be disappointed in the least.
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

TB-6 is an amazing pickup. My go-to is a JB, but if it doesn't suit the guitar, the Distortion never fails. The only reason I don't start with a Distortion is I don't want to have more pickup than I need. I hope that makes sense.
              "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                TB-6 is an amazing pickup. My go-to is a JB, but if it doesn't suit the guitar, the Distortion never fails. The only reason I don't start with a Distortion is I don't want to have more pickup than I need. I hope that makes sense.

Very cool comment dude. Is the TB-6 that hot? Cause if it is, I likely won't dig it. I don't care much how it cleans up, but I really like the strings and notes to articlulate..I find thats not the case with hot pickups....maybe just me...

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                  Only thing PG about the Pearly Gates is it's nickname. Gotta pay to play but you won't be disappointed in the least.
                  Fuk dude !! That shit, REALLY is expensive. In fact, I am going to order this thing, but its going in my main player ! I'll put the neck pickup from my Ibby in the neck of the RR3, and then get something new for the bridge of the RR3...

Comment

I prefer an SH-2 with the Distortion in practically all cases. Suits the character of the pickup better IMO.

Yes the 6 is hot, but it's pretty clear, especially for a Duncan. I don't think you'll be displeased with it.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                      Can't help you there, but I put a DiMarzio X2N in mine and loved it

Same here. It's nice, tight and meaty on the low end with nice sharp tones on the high end, overdrives well for a passive, has decent clean tones, and has been my go-to pup for a solid two decades now.

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                        Very cool comment dude. Is the TB-6 that hot? Cause if it is, I likely won't dig it. I don't care much how it cleans up, but I really like the strings and notes to articlulate..I find thats not the case with hot pickups....maybe just me...
                        That's why there's a gain control on your amp... lower it. Or you could always just lower the pickup or its poles a little bit.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          That's why there's a gain control on your amp... lower it. Or you could always just lower the pickup or its poles a little bit.

I MAY role off the volume on the git but theres not a chance in hell I'm turing the gain down !! fuk that!

Comment

LOL That's why high-powered pickups were made in the first place... to help push older amps that weren't real high gain. With how much gain amps have today, you can use lower-output pickups, or just use the higher-powered ones and the amp gain down a little; same basic thing if you feel the pickup's output is too high and not that articulate.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              LOL That's why high-powered pickups were made in the first place... to help push older amps that weren't real high gain. With how much gain amps have today, you can use lower-output pickups, or just use the higher-powered ones and the amp gain down a little; same basic thing if you feel the pickup's output is too high and not that articulate.
                              I like to have the amp gain high and roll off the volume on the guitar when necessary but that’s just me. I find I can be a bit more dynamic that way…

On another note, anyone try these? I feel cheap even asking but I'm wondering what these "Crunchy PAT's" are like. Sure would save some cash I have 3 projects on the go.....

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Crunchy-...ebra_c_49.html

Comment

Working...
                              X