Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar polish for hazed clear coat from removing marker...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar polish for hazed clear coat from removing marker...?

So I had to remove some permanent marker from the face of a guitar, (prepro San Dimas Charvel), and I used lighter fluid and Goof Off, and it left the small area where the marker was pretty hazy...

Can anyone recommend a guitar polish and/or technique that will bring the dull scratchy spot back to a shiny gloss?

i just used turtle wax swirl remover on my car this weekend. took the slight haze right out of the corner mouldings. actually looked so much better i had to do the whole car.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
      i just used turtle wax swirl remover on my car this weekend. took the slight haze right out of the corner mouldings. actually looked so much better i had to do the whole car.
      +1, the stuff works wonders! I also use this stuff too, although it ain't exactly cheap, but it TOTALLY renewed the finish on a couple of my older Charvels.http://www.guitarscratchremover.com/ good stuff!

Comment

I'd use G3 cutting compound or T Cut and buff it out. But go easy. Basically any pro cutting compound you'd use on a car after wet sanding is good.
        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

3M Scratch & haze remover it is the best I have found. It works really well even on black guitars. I then follow it with 3M Ultra polish two coats.

Comment

I fixed a hazy spot on my buddies guitar with some 3m headlight polish.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Give the Meguier's Scratch-X a try. I've tried all the above, and this is by far the best stuff. Not that expensive (around $5 - $7 at Walmart), and It took my PS-4 from scratches and hazy to a mirror shine. You don't need anything else with this stuff, just your hand, a clean rag, and rub it in, then wipe it off.
              1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
              1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
              2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
              2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
              2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
              2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
              1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
              2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
              2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
              1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Make sure there isn't any residue from the solvent left in the finish first. Then any scratch removal polishing compound should work. I've used the buffing pad from the 3M headlight buffing kit on a drill with good results also. I just use a polishing wax, 2 birds with 1 stone.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                X