Warmoth "Jackson" necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth "Jackson" necks?

I recall some time ago that someone from Warmoth was here trying to help add Jackson specs to their neck line? Anyone have a report on that? Did they do the heel size correctly? More importantly, did they learn how to do a 24 fret neck?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

They have the headstock but the only a 24 fret extention and no choices on heel width.

Comment

To be honest Jackson necks are not Warmoth's speciality. I have a Warmoth 22 fret 'Jackson' neck. Nice slab of squared off ebony, thick like a Jackson, lovely neck, but the headstock shape is off, slightly elongated and narrower, and they do that reinforced lump behind the headstock where it bends from the neck, I don't know if you could shave this down or if it is necessary because of the depth of their truss rod rout.

Yeah 24 fret necks are basically a precarious 23 fret overhang on a conventional strat 21 fret heel.

All their heels are 2 3/16" no other option is given.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

That bump is called a volute.

Is this a one piece neck? Because that would be overkill having the volute and the scarf joint.

Comment

Hang on....I'II check....

Yeah has a scarf joint. The rout is so deep that I think if you did away with the 'volute' you would have a hole there.

Also every neck I have had that has twisted....has been a warmoth. I know they may have been the cheaper end but I really don't rate them anymore. In fact, two out of three of my Warmoth necks are slightly twisted. One is really bad and factory finished but a birdseye, one is the Jackson one finished with Tru Oil. The nut is cut at a crazy angles also, going off into space somewhere, no where near the tuners. I think the cheaper side of Warmoth is well made and finished cheap junk, still ain't that cheap though at $240+. Anything custom specced under $330 is junk maple. My other Warmoth neck is quartersawn, but cost $350 and is still not Charvel Jap Pro Mod grade. Don't really think it is worth that compared to Musikraft ones I have seen. I just get the impression that they don't care much about what goes out the door.

Better off getting a cheap Jackson neck and re boarding it if you want something different IMO.

Do Musikraft not do a pointie?
          Last edited by ginsambo; 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

That was a bit harsh, the Warmoth Jackson is only slightly twisted, I have a real Japanese Jackson that has the same amoput of twist and plays fine. I think most flatsawn necks get a bit to them.

and the $350 neck is as good as a Pro Mod neck, I was just being pissy.

So guess you get what you pay for really, but the volute is weird.
            Last edited by ginsambo; 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Hmn, i haven't seen a Warmoth Pro neck with a volute. It's not standard, It must have been ordered that way.

NewC, it probably will never happen. I asked 20 years ago, it was No. I've went in there and talked with them about it a few times since then, they had 0 interest. I followed that trail you spoke about across forums and it never materialized, figured it would be news by now if they did.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lefty-Left-H...item3f1d76869e

You can see the raised 'Volute' bit clearly here. Every Warmoth 'Jackson' neck has one. I think it is standard unless you don't want it, or maybe only with D profile necks, but everyone I have seen has it.

Comment

Ah i see your right. Yes that's a volute. It's kind of understated. It's a semi volute, lol.
                  Yeah i'm looking at some of the instock stuff i see them now.

Imo a volute is good, scarf joint or no. It does not hinder playability and is good for strength in that region. My personal opinion is a scarf joint if anything makes a neck weaker. But we are not jumping up and down on our necks so most standard build techniques are just fine. flatsawn, quarter, lam, scarf, volute any of them will last a lifetime if the wood is good.

Comment

I never noticed the volutes either, very subtle in photos, hence why I originally got a Warmoth jackson. I do prefer quartersawn for anything because temperature swings and and high humidity around here, just mean that they are more or less guaranteed to stay straight all year, especially if they are a thin C or D. Although that said, some of the most stable flatsawn necks I have are those bargain cheap shite ones from china? Look horrid but straight as a level. And very hard, really nice maple too.

Comment

A volute would also keep people from trying to resell Warmoth necks as true Jackson necks, so I can see why it would be there.

Still can't understand why after all this time they don't offer "true" Jackson-style necks.

And yeah, that 24 fret neck of theirs is a laughable atrocity. 3" overhang? Turn your Strat into a Les Paul, at least as far as upper-fret accessibility

Oh well.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X