Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" radius?

Hey guys

A dude has a kewl partscaster for sale and its got a 12" radius. I play thrash metal a lot and I'm wondering since ESP guitars are 12" radiuses (right?) and Gibsons are, will this guitar be able to thrash?
    Sorry for the lack of details. I can't try the guitar.

So its basically a strat (I can always change the pickups) with a 12" radius.

Thanks

algeriet

A straight 12" radius works for Chris Broderick. Is Megadeth still thrash?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You gotta try it out. I found 12" all the way up the board to be way too curved for me. It's all preference.

Comment

You can thrash on a 9.5 radius. Like dj said it's all preference. I don't care for stuff above 14" radius but i can still deal with it. On seven strings it's ok. But for the most part it's just mainly uncomfortable and i find it easier to play extended chords and arpeggios on a smaller radius.

I've given it a lot of thought in the past and, for one, i have skinny fingers with no meat on them. So playing on a really flay radius i have to press really hard to keep all the strings pressed down, even with huge frets my pointer finger practically has to be bent backwards to make a straight surface and barr across strings. So it's exerting a lot of energy and muscle to do something that should be as easy as just laying your fingers across the strings.

Hold a mock claw chord shape in your hand, look at your fingers. On my hand the shape at the end of my finders is an arc, like a round radius, it's not perfectly flat, and trying to make the tips of my fingers perfectly flat starting from that natural comfortable shape i have to contort my hand and push my 3rd 4th and pinky 'out' more to do it. It's not natural or comfortable at all I can feel all the muscles that need to work just to hold it in that position. However if you only ever play 1-5 power chords, you probably would never notice it.

Just have to play it and see. ESP is mostly 12" radius (305mm) and 16" (400mm) really 15.74" on like the Roope and Hanneman, at least in the Japan ESP chart for 2009.

Easiest way to try out and feel the difference is play and compare a newer non vintage style Strat and an Ibanez the later almost all being 15.74" radius.

Comment

Thrash on a 12" radius???

vr7KUExgR8r.jpg

Comment

12" is fine. I'd be more concerned about the usage of "kewl."
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated!

Comment

You can thrash on anything IMO if the guitar feels comfy why not?
                People thrash on banjos and mandolins don't they.Its whatever you get used to.
                Kind of a silly question.
                I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't try it first.
                Last edited by straycat; 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by djpharoah View Post
                  You gotta try it out. I found 12" all the way up the board to be way too curved for me. It's all preference.
                  really? What do you usually play?
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                    12" is fine. I'd be more concerned about the usage of "kewl."
                    +1
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                    X