Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to do a blood drip paintjob on a guitar... Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to do a blood drip paintjob on a guitar... Help needed!

I have a well used Cort I'm thinking about repainting. It's a evil series k4. It has a flat black finish on it and pentagram inlays, but the body is a little beat up and I think a blood drip finish would make it look more evil. I want to keep the color black with red blood running down the body.

I have took everything apart already, so if I don't get it done, I'll end up losing all the screws and never getting it put back together.

Heres the guitar (stock photo)

I was thinking along the lines of this kelly

Or Warrens Demartini's signature Charvel without the skull

I don't have a spray gun or anything, so I'll have to use spray cans and cheap stuff.

What spray paint, filler (for the chips and dings) and other stuff would you guys recommend?
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

www.reranch.com for products and info.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Can't do that with a spray can.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Go all the way and do it Vai-style (use your real blood).

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          www.reranch.com for products and info.

Sully
          Thanks Sully! I'll have a look at this site.

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
          Go all the way and do it Vai-style (use your real blood).
          Real blood turns brown after it oxidizes (or something?). It would look more look a shit drip paint job!

@straycat. Why couldn't I use a spray can? Do you mean for the blood drips? I was thinking of spraying the red paint in a cup and use a dropper to drip the red paint on to the black body after I repaint it, then do some light sanding to get everything flat and then clearcoating.

Comment

As far as the blood goes, get some airbrush paint instead of a rattle can (no need to spray it into a can for this, although that'll work. You're not going to sand the drips, tho. You don't need to lay it on heavy at all; that stuff is water thin to begin with, so if you keep it light, just bury it in a lot of clear coat.

Sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Alright cool. This looks like a job I could undertake without too much problems.

How about the chips and cracks in the guitar? I haven't sanded the guitar down yet, but it has chips and dents that go to the wood. Should I used bondo or something and fill in the chips and dents and sand down after?

Thanks Sully

Comment

Timbermate is awesome for that stuff. I like it a lot. You can get it online or at places like Woodcraft. It's a great filler, is water soluble, and doesn't shrink.

Sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Bottle of Testors red paint poured onto the top edge of the body and let it run down. Tilt the body to control the direction/angle.

One thing I did learn about it after I had done this, is if it looks a bit too light on the bottom, don't pour more on the top, pour it closer to the middle.

IIRC the way Jackson does it is just dip a brush and slash towards the body. This leaves a trail and does splatters as well, and the trail is heavy enough that it runs.

Chris Holmes said he grabbed the can of paint they were splattering his with and dooshed it onto the body
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This was done with Lacquer from Stewmac and the make your own spray can stuff. Can't remember the name. Got it all from Stewmac. The red wasn't sanded at all. Its a little thick but worked. I call it the wife beater.

http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X