Refinish questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinish questions

Sully has been giving me some advice about a refin project I have going.

Some of you might have seen this Fusion body on the Bay. I grabbed it to try it out, and she is a royal bitch. The previous owner filled the two single routes, and hammered a bottle cap where a pot was.

All spots have been filled and blocked smooth. Then sprayed with water based laquer. But the spots keep floating out. Sully mentioned glazing with a polyester puddy, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I just wanted to post pics for Sully and any other seasoned refinishers for some advice.

I say strip whatever's on it and sand the fucker flat to 500grit. If the spots keep "floating out" as you say then it probably means it hasn't been sanded flat enough. After sanding it, go over it with some epoxy to fill in any gaps and sand again.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I've sanded it flat, and even run it through a drum sander. It was flat, trust me.

More than likely I need to sand, and glaze it with a filler, then finish over it.

Comment

If you can see the original route before you paint it's very likely it's going to show through the paint. It's possible the filler shrunk a bit and maybe it needed more time.

Comment

Nothing you can do. It's the material mismatches and glue. There is shrinking and all sorts of other science happening. The only way I know of eliminating it is to glue a veneer over it all. If you have a local building supply place, you can get maple veneers which are about 0.040" thick. Even with the veneer you may get the visual problems. The thicker the veneer the less chance you will have "see through". Below is a project I did filling in two single coils. The second picture shows the veneer before paint.
          R-016.jpgR-022.jpg

Comment

+1.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think a veneer is beyond my scope. I might try the poly glaze that Sully suggested first. if that doesn't work I don't know what I will do. I really wanted to be able to finish this and make it look good. I was excited for a single hum guitar.

Comment

Its the water based lacquer. my guess is that the filler is soaking up the water in it.
                1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
                1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
                2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
                2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
                2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
                2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
                1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
                2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
                2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
                1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Yep, looks like your filler shrank a bit.
                  You "can" get it perfect, car painters can do Bondo repairs that look 100%. IMO Work it 100% through primer/base coats first

Cheers
                  Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
                    Yep, looks like your filler shrank a bit.
                    You "can" get it perfect, car painters can do Bondo repairs that look 100%. IMO Work it 100% through primer/base coats first
                    Cheers
                    Car painters and motorcycle painters can make bondo invisible because they are spraying over a plastic or metal surface. Wood expands and contracts at a much more noticeable rate at various temperatures and humidities. It's not just the filler shrinking, it's the wood moving at a different rate than the bondo.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                      Car painters and motorcycle painters can make bondo invisible because they are spraying over a plastic or metal surface. Wood expands and contracts at a much more noticeable rate at various temperatures and humidities. It's not just the filler shrinking, it's the wood moving at a different rate than the bondo.
                      True that! I just did a DKMG but I used fiberglass as the filler, worked out well. Point being.. its not impossible.. just hard
                      Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

On top of that, if you use wood for a plug, you need to make sure the grain is going in the same direction. It also helps to use a plug of the same species of wood. The glue you use and how thick it is needed will also become an issue. Best way to get it is like Uli mentions. Avoid water base stuff when using color. You can get away with it if it is natural finish. But I still avoid them, I avoid them almost as much as flourescent stuff..
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                          I avoid them almost as much as flourescent stuff..
                          You had to throw that in didn't you????
                          I really appreciate Mike's help on a project I have.

Comment

I really appreciate Mike's help on a project I have.
                            +1,000,000. Mike will not only answer the phone, but he'll talk you down off of the ledge and give beer recommendations. What more can you ask?

Sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

epoxy can work as well but all of these things OTHER than the veneer can get really touchy and down the road will likely rear their head at some point.
                              Haters gonna hate
                              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X