Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring 96 dinky xl proffessional

***94-95 Dinky Xl Japanese made HSS.

Hey planning about to make the old dinky stage worthy, just wondering if you guys could put me in the right direction?

Other than the standard set up/check ups I want to

A)replace the bridge pick up as it's pretty week and I never really liked it any way ( I play medium to high gain stonesour/seven dust type music with alot of drop d full chords, slash chords/ exotic chords so chord clarity is paramount!Playing a rockerverb 50 mkII.
    Want to stick with passive pups though. I actually like the dinkys neck pick up but it would be so much better if it was hotter.

B) Block the tremolo for dives only.

C) Replace the wiring, selector switch & pots. Love the taper of the stock pots as well.

Would appreciate any suggestions on configurations or pick up/pot suggestions.

Understanding that getting around and trying different gear yourself is the best way, as usuall my local shops are simply recommending whatever is left in their cabinets!

Thanks,

Ben
    Last edited by beneye; 09-20-2012, 05:43 AM.

I have 2 mid 90 s dinky rvs. Replace all, he wiring, the input jack, pots, and pickup switch.

Check the term posts for play. One of mine has some play in them but a few wraps of Teflon tape was enough to keep me from replacing them.

Try a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. To my ears they're a great combo in the basswood bodies.

Get the frets leveld and polished. Then have good setup done.

After that stuff you should have a rock solid gigging guitar. My 95 has been to hell and back several times and is still solid.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

the 96 was called a dx1 are you sure that's what you have?

Comment

Like Rich said, 1996 is a DX1, and we're talking HSS, right?? Sounds like you need a Duncan Custom (TB5/SH5) and a little '59 (SL59-1). I don't have a middle pickup in 2 of my 3 HSS guitars but if you want one, I have a Duckbucker in my Model 6 and all 3 pickups are split to single coils (like a strat) with a push/pull volume. Block the trem with a piece of wood. For pots, the holes are smaller on most imports so you may have to drill for CTS, but I've never had any more problems with the import Alphas than with CTS. Switchcraft jack. For the switch, you want 5 way or 3 way? Install it all correctly and it'll last a long time.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I recently got a Dinky XL that I cleaned up. It's a great guitar. Do you ever notice yourself accidentally rolling the volume down with your pinky while playing? Happens to me a lot. I'm considering removing the tone pot entirely and moving the volume back there.

I actually like the bridge pickup in the guitar as it suits what I use it for. I know audiozone lists these coming with J92Cs but I don't think this is correct. You might want to try a TB4 or if you prefer something hotter go with a TB5.

If you want to block your trem for dives only I think a tremol-no would be your best bet.

Comment

With the style of music you play, I would go with a TB-4 JB or a Distortion. Replace the pots with CTS 500k pots with a .223 orange drop Sprague capacitor and the 5 way switch with a CRL. Switchcraft 1/4" jack. I have a 1997 Dinky DX1 professional (HSS setup) with these changes. I've got the duncan distortion in the bridge, lace sensor in the middle, and duncan hot chrome in the neck, and this thing is a beast! Perfect for that style of metal...
            1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
            1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
            2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
            2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
            2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
            2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
            1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
            2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
            2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
            1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

Yeah, (ritch) looking at the old catolouge online it was out of the 94-95 catolouge, and it is definately a dinky xl Japanese made HSS set up.

Some of the most straight forward advice I'd ever got off a forum too! The tb-5/duncan distortion seems to be a fave for you guys, thanks for the point in the right direction.
              The dinky it's not a guitar that many use around myself so most pick up suggestions are heavily influenced by les paul users, a legendary guitar but a whole different beast!

I actually do remember accidently hitting the volume pot with my pinky while playing, damn that brings back some memories!

Regards,

Ben

Comment

Main reason the TB5/SH5 Custom is my favorite Duncan is the clarity and note definition. The Distortion IMO wasn't very clear with hearing each note as you played chords or different strings ringing out. JB is better but has more bite that makes it sound more raw. But the Custom is extremely clear and smooth. The first thing I do anytime I try a pickup is play the bottom power chord and the B and E string open and see how clear I can hear the B and E over the low chord. The Custom is by far the clearest I've heard while maintaining the focused drive and power for tight high gain. Good luck with whatever you choose.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I like the way you put that warlock, thats exactly what I mean and am after!

Thanks,

Ben

Comment

Working...
                  X