Sanding back of the neck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding back of the neck.

Hey there ! My guitar has a really bad thick layer of lacquer on the back of it's neck. The newer models have this satin feel neck, it's really nice. So I wanted to try to sand the neck down and maybe sand off some thickness of the overall neck, it's just not enough comfy for my wannabe-shreder needs. So here's the question, how should I finish the neck after I sand down the lacquer ? I did some search, but some people say I just have to sand it down and apply some tungoil, some say I can leave it unfinished, some say I have to spray some lacquer which ends up having satin feel. I'm really confused :think:

Use a scotch pad or steel wool. I wouldn't spray it with anything. Unless you get all the finish off, I don't think oiling the neck will do anything.

I would start with a very light sanding with steel wool, just to smooth it out, and go deeper and deeper until it feels good in your hands.

Comment

I did this with a neck (sanded it completely and refinished it). It's a long, annoying process but the final product is worth it IMHO. I used a paint scraper to get most of the clear off the back of mine, then used fine grit sandpaper to gradually cut through the remainder while making sure to keep the radius and so forth (which might not be an issue for you, it sounds like). Then there's the oil finish, which I used Danish Oil for.

You *could* leave it unfinished, just be prepared to tweak the truss rod constantly since any changes in humidity will cause the neck to expand/contract. It will also be more vulnerable to warpage.

Comment

I used 0000 steel wool on my necks and then wipe them down with a clean rag. I don't add anything and they are 19 yr old girl's a$$ smooth.

Comment

I've seen that/done that too. In my case this neck just got messed up and I decided to go the full 9 yards.

PRS actually does this by default on some models. A friend of mine got an SE Singlecut that had the neck matted like it'd been steel wooled, but taped off perfectly so the headstock went back to gloss and so forth. Feels great, looks great...I need to use his as a template and do mine.

Comment

0000 steel wool and time just work with it until it feels good
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

People complain about the Japanese Pro Mod necks being rough. I'm lucky I guess, as I can stratch my back with the palm of my hand I get them necks smooth and shiny in no time. Benefits of being a landscaper/paviour. Do have to watch the paint through as you can stratch that like a button. Sometimes I think I have more skin on the palms of my hands than many people have on the soles of their feet, as I am that hard.

I often wonder though how stable heavily laquered necks, like the model series ones, especially the lower ones, would be without any laquer at all. My guess is it would make pretty much no difference to them as the necks I do have that warp back and forth with humidity are all heavily laquered anyway. Anyone had any issues after delacquering?

I think Jackson must have changed the laquer formula for the more recent runs (Post mid '00's), maybe its a water based laquer or something so that is why it is thinner, on some of the older imports it's like treacle.
              Last edited by ginsambo; 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM.
              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

^ btw guitar isn't made by Jackson or Charvel. It's Schecter.

Comment

If you want an old-school Jackson USA feel, 1500 grit dry gets you pretty close (provided there is no clear coat finish). I end up using 2000 grit on my necks. I love that buttery smoothness.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Did you see sullys video when he did the Les Paul neck? Sounds like what you're looking to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3gJx...ure=plpp_video
                    I stripped my Ibanez RGT and Tru-oiled it. Then hit with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish and it feels amazing..
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                      Did you see sullys video when he did the Les Paul neck? Sounds like what you're looking to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3gJx...ure=plpp_video
                      I stripped my Ibanez RGT and Tru-oiled it. Then hit with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish and it feels amazing..
                      Thank you ! That's what I wanted to do. Jeez, if I would live next door to you, I would buy you a beer or two. Huge thanks !

Comment

Working...
                      X