Floyd Upgrades review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Upgrades review

OK, i've been considering some upgrades on my Elite King V, which is already a killer guitar with great features to begin with but i can't help modding everything i get my hands on, and i want to take it to the next level. So about a month ago i placed an order at Floyd Upgrades for the following:
    • A set of stainless steel saddle screws (the Floyd already comes with stainless steel string clamp screws)
    • Heavy duty noiseless springs
    • Brass spring claw
    • 37mm brass sustain block
    I've read and heard a lot about the supposed improvement brass blocks do to the tone of a guitar and after doing plenty of research and watching plenty of YouTube videos, i decided to take the plunge and buy a 37mm brass block. I wasn't really expecting a huge improvement or anything but i figured it couldn't hurt. As most of the Elite series guitars come with an OFR with stainless steel string clamp screws and nut locking screws, i bought a set of stainless steel saddle screws to complete the theme (and also because one of the stock ones had already stripped).

The stuff arrived a few weeks later and i finally got around to installing them in the King V last week. While installing the upgrades i came across a couple of small but frustrating issues which, while remediable, i wasn't expecting after having paid in excess of $80 on components. The first was the fact that the noiseless springs - due to the red coating making them slightly thicker - had a hard time fitting in the mounting holes of the sustain block. One of them slipped in just fine but the other two had to be coaxed in with the help of some WD40 and some light tapping with the head of a screwdriver as I didn't have a drill bit small enough to enlarge the holes in the block. It seems that this is a minor QC issue and oversight on the part of FU but it's a pain in the ass and something that could have been avoided. Also, one of the springs wasn't flexing because the coating inbetween the coils had stuck together, so i had to bend and stretch the spring to break it loose. Another thing that i noticed was that the mounting/adjustment screw holes in the brass claw were spaced closer together than the stock claw, so i was worried that it wouldn't fit but this proved to be a non-issue.

Anyway, when the time came to install everything, the first thing i did was desolder the ground wire from the original spring claw and solder a terminal connector to the end of the wire for easy installation on the new claw and a cleaner look. I enlarged the pre-drilled hole in the brass claw so it could fit a bigger screw for better contact. I disassembled the Floyd, took off the stock 32mm block and spacer, installed the brass block and replaced the stock saddle screws with the stainless ones. Put everything back together and voila:

Gotta love the hotrodded look of the brass and red springs.

Now the surprising part: while stringing up the guitar and resetting the intonation, the first thing i noticed was that the guitar was so much more resonant than before! To be honest, i wasn't really expecting much of a difference, maybe a little improved sustain or something but i was totally stunned at how the block really brought this fucker to life! Even acoustically, apart from just sounding louder, the guitar sounded much more bright and articulate and notes rang out with bell-like clarity and shimmer. Plugged in with some gain it really screams; there's more clarity, bite and attack in every note and it sustains for days. It's difficult to explain but the guitar now feels like a living entity of its own, it's much more responsive and alive.All in all, while i had some annoying issues installing the upgrades, it was well worth the money, time and effort and i highly recommend anyone with a Floyd to take the plunge and install a brass block. I was planning on recording some before and after clips and even running them through a spectrogram to see if there's a difference but i'm way too lazy. Either way, i'm sold!

EDIT:

The next upgrades i plan on are as follows:
    • BKP Aftermath in the neck (the stock JB is a great pickup but i prefer something with a bit more growl, bite and aggression)
    • BKP Mississippi Queen humbucker sized P-90 in the neck
    • Earvana Floyd nut
    Last edited by Devotee; 08-28-2012, 04:09 AM.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

REAL REVIEW! YAY!

there's more clarity, bite and attack in every note and it sustains for days. It's difficult to explain but the guitar now feels like a living entity of its own, it's much more responsive and alive.
    That's just like the difference between my uber rare Fender and any of my Jacksons. The only real substantial difference is that the Fender has a Gotoh floyd. I've bought a 2nd Gotoh to try out in my Strathead Jackson to see if it makes any difference. You wouldn't think that it would, but the Gotoh trem block is way nicer than the Schaller. So I have no idea if it'll change anything, but I'm gonna try.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

So are the springs really dampened enough?

And I didn't know they made an earvana locking nut!

Comment

@devotee, does the 37mm block still allow the rear cover to be placed on the kv2?

Comment

Yes, the springs are much quieter than the stock ones. The Earvana locking nut only comes in R3 size though and it costs $95!

The 37mm block sticks out a little bit when the bridge is pulled back all the way (like when there are no strings on the guitar) but i tend to leave the cavity cover off anyway.

Originally posted by RD
          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I can attest to the amazing change a block like that does. I bought a 32mm "L" brass block for my SL2H, and damn if it isn't the loudest guitar I have, acoustically and amplified. My Gibson LP is a close second there. Now, unfortunately the L portion of the block sits against the cavity wall preventing me to pull the bridge up. Bummer. The bridge does lay flat w.r.t. the body but I want the full use of the system. Well, I ordered the standard 32mm brass block to replace it. No way I'm going back to the stock block anymore.

Comment

The nuts on both my Kv2s are R3!

I purchased an earvana!

Comment

Originally posted by 197666 View Post
                The nuts on both my Kv2s are R3!

I purchased an earvana!
                Looking forward to an informative thread with lots of pictures!

Originally posted by RD

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                  Looking forward to an informative thread with lots of pictures!
                  You know it, I'll even strobe the differences! I'm ordering a brass block, brass claw and the noiseless HD springs now as well.

Comment

I wonder if the upgrade on a Schaller would be very noticeable since it already has a nickle plated brass block... hmmm...

I recently added an ESP Arming Adjuster to my strathead, and now it resonates like nobody's business. I'm not sure I'd need to upgrade a trem block with as much sustain and resonance that I'm getting now.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                      I wonder if the upgrade on a Schaller would be very noticeable since it already has a nickle plated brass block... hmmm...

I recently added an ESP Arming Adjuster to my strathead, and now it resonates like nobody's business. I'm not sure I'd need to upgrade a trem block with as much sustain and resonance that I'm getting now.
                      FWIW, OFR has a plated brass block...

Comment

I recently put a Gotoh FR on a JS100. GOTOH’s come STANDARD with a brass block and there is CLEARLY a difference in the tone and sustain. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase BB's for other FR's that I have. I think the brass claw is worth trying as well. So I think I will!

I have ranted about Gotoh’s before, I’m telling you guys, they are KILLER trem units. I would never buy anything else.

I have to say though, I also purchased those (for an old RG570) "heavy duty/noiseless" red springs from FU and to be honest, I didn't find they made much difference. In fact, for me, I found they made the EDGE FR a little too stiff for my liking, and they are really difficult to work with (as stated). I have since taken them off and they are sitting collecting dust. Maybe I will try them elsewhere.

Cool post dude!
                        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I dropped an email to Adam from Floyd Upgrades to thank him for the stuff and suggested he start offering some Floyd nuts made of stainless steel, brass and titanium. He said he had a nut in the works.

Originally posted by RD

Comment

I am surprised on this one you truly noticed that much of a resonant difference, what size block was on it before? My experience with them is the difference is much more relative to the quality of what your replacing.
                            Haters gonna hate
                            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Excellent review, thanks for that...and

Yep, I'm sold too.

I bought a 2005-2006 Charvel Pointy Strat with these upgrades already in it. I was super skeptical and always considered these brass upgrades to be hype.

Immediately after I got it home I knew I was wrong, just as you said the guitar was much more 'alive' acoustically and very responsive pluggerd in.

I don't know that i'll be switching all my guitars over (just too many) but I will probably upgrade a few of my favorite players eventually.

IT'S NOT HYPE!!! These upgrades really do make a difference.
                              Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Working...
                              X