Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Problems...

Whatsup Forum, First Time Poster

Having a bit of trouble with the Floyd on my sl2h Mah, When ever I tilt my guitar up or down my strings go out of tune, not terribly out of tune but enough to be annoying. When i tilt my guitar down so the strings are facing the floor they go flat, when i tilt it up strings to the ceiling they go sharp. I made sure my hand wasn't anywhere near the bridge when i was doing it so I know thats not it. This isn't suppose to be happening right? Is there something wrong with my guitar?

Are you holding it by the headstock? This makes no sense.
    Gravity isn't strong enough to do that. Are you trolling?
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

no dude i swear, this has never happened to me before, this is the only original floyd i own, I'm holdin it by the body and the middle of the neck.

Comment

Post a video.
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

sounds like the blues rock chatter needs to be aligned.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Gimme a few minutes, my phone isn't cooperating

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6pK0Q-3eNA&feature=plcp

Cameras a little shaky, had my guitar in one hand and phone in the other

Comment

There will be some slight variation when you 'rotate' a guitar (some sort of physics somewhere I guess), but I wouldn't expect enough for it to be an issue when playing. But you should tune a guitar in playing position, rather than with it lying on its back on a work bench or whatever.

EDIT: OK, that does seem weird. How many springs are in it? Is the nut locked? Have you checked the mounting screws for the nut are properly tightened?
                Last edited by neilli; 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The nut is tightened, and there's just the standard 3 springs in the back.

Comment

Maybe it happens and people don't realize it? Can you guys give your floyds a quick check, just bought this guitar last week here on this forum, I would be heartbroken if something is seriously wrong.

Comment

Ive noticed this happens on most guitars. Its the effects of gravity pushing down on the neck... it doesnt take much to make it go a bit flat or sharp, especially considering how much tension is already on the neck.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

the solution is obvious, dont tilt your guitar up or down. its really not necessary unless your performing physics experiments or something. just play it in the normal standing or siting positions and its probably fine.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Yea i guess its not a huge deal, I didn't expect it to change as much as it does though, sometimes as much as a quarter step. I guess its something i gotta keep in mind. Well thanks for your help gents.

Comment

When dealing with a floyd that is balanced there are subtle tuning differences when the guitar is on it's back and in the playing position. Most of the time you only notice this with a tuner since all the strings are effected. on the other hand, you might want to ensure the neck is bolted on tight, (if its a bolt on) The other thing to take into account is the placement of your palm on the bridge will help to keep the tension stable.
                            Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                            2007 Jackson DK2M
                            1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                            2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                            2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

The only issue I ever had remotely similar to that was the neck moving around in the neck pocket slightly. Make sure the neck screws are nice and tight.

EDIT: Cullens beat me to it.

RE-EDIT: Neck thru, argh, I'm signing off and going to bed...
                              Last edited by Axewielder; 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X