Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Pro Mod USA How to clean the dirty fret board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Pro Mod USA How to clean the dirty fret board?

Charvel Pro Mod USA How to clean the dirty fret board?

Does the regular guitar cleaner works on this situation?
    The neck being oiled ,I wonder what is best for it.

THX

I use a tooth brush and lemon oil. It takes a little more elbow than 0000 steel wool, but it doesn't remove the polished sheen.

I just heavily lemon oil the board, let it sit for half an hour, then come back with the toothbrush and more lemon oil. Then I wipe it completely down, inspect near a bright light and repeat if I didn't get it all off. I'm sure you could use string lube, ezfret or any other fretboard or wood conditioner.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Lemon oil and a tooth brush then wipe it off.Repeat if you have too.
      I love a dirty maple board so I let the grime sink in.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just used naptha when changing my strings tonight. Seemed to work, I saw alot of gunk come off...Not sure if using naptha really often is a good thing tho...

Comment

Naptha works great at clearing out the crap stuck inbetween frets. It's ok to use it as long as you use some lemon oil on the fretboard afterwards. Naptha dries it out so it's a good idea to replenish the moisture and minerals afterwards. I don't use steel wool on a fretboard as you can get filing stuck under the frets and in the grain which is a pain in the ass to get out. As xeno said though, an old toothbrush works great.
          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I thought lemon oil was good for rosewood but not for maple...I swear I read that somewhere. I live in Hawaii, so hopefully the humidity will keep me from having to moisturize it...

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog808 View Post
              I thought lemon oil was good for rosewood but not for maple...I swear I read that somewhere. I live in Hawaii, so hopefully the humidity will keep me from having to moisturize it...
              It's also fine for maple, don't worry.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I only did naphtha for a maple fretboard RG550. This board had seen a lot of battles and it didn't come out all that clean. Looking forward to see how yours cleans up. Take before and after photos if possible.

Comment

Are the maple fretboards on the Promods sealed with anything different than the back of the neck? Kinda like a gunstock oil?
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Cool.
                    Thanks guys.
                    Next string change is going to be the chance to try it.

Comment

Rosewood I don't bother with. Maple is just bare maple, no oil on the fretboard. Usually 0000 steel wool will shift alot, but mask off your pickups first, as has been said many times before. I tried alot of stuff on maple, apart from wool, nothing much more you can do, but as said, its the stains that make it look good.
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                      X