Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Pro Mod Neck Screws - What Size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Pro Mod Neck Screws - What Size.

I need some neck screws to marry Japanese Pro Mod necks.

Measured the threads on my 2005 Charvel Reissue necks screws they are 4.81mm / 0.1894" or just over 6/32" (0.1875") x 13/4" with a 9.5mm head (0.374" /3/8"). Same kind of sizing as the old chunky, early '90's era Jackson Neck Screws. Shit I thought, where will I be able to buy these...

But then I measured the ones on my Japanese Pro Mod's and they are 4.57mm / 0.18" x 1 3/4" with a 8.75mm (0.345") head. They are a lot skinnier, more cheaply anodized (The black coating wears off to silver), have a slightly finer thread and their head is far less tapered.

So then, the Pro Mod neck screws I need seem to be standard Fender Screws that are used in the USA/Japanese Pro Mods then?

Does anybody know if this is correct, are they standard Fender neck screws, as I need to order some?

NB: For reference, I don't know what size the USA 2008+ production screws are, as I don't want to restring just now, but they seem to have bigger heads than the Japanese pro mod screws, From memory I think they are skinny too, just with bigger heads.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

The USA promod screws are the fatter ones like the model series. Thats what I used to put a jap promod neck on a usa promod body. Standard fender screws are easy to find on ebay. The fatter ones, not so much. Also, you can remove just one screw without it affecting the strings at all.
    Last edited by Carbuff; 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I thought the USA's might be, couldn't remember, thanks for clearing that up. Looking at the Jap pro mods they are all definitely fender screws.

I was worried about possibly splitting a Jap Pro Mod neck with USA Charvel/Jackson screws, they are pretty well tight in there and through the body too, if its a Jap one.

Yeah I don't know where you get the fatter screws from. I have been saving them up over the years, but most are too short since they are off old Jackson's and I reckon if I don't need them someone else will so go with fender screws for now.

Comment

I have fender screws in one of mine. the standard screws for these might be thicker but they are not model series thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          I have fender screws in one of mine. the standard screws for these might be thicker but they are not model series thick.

Yeah, you are right actually, I just compared my 2005 reissue screws (Which make the Jap Pro Mod screws look like skinny Fenders) and in comparison with some old Jackson Stealth Screws the 2005 (USA Pro Mod, I guess) screws look skinny like Fender.

Measured the old Jackson screws, which I presume are same as model series and they are 0.206" (13/64") thread with a 0.391" (25/64") head.

Comment

Seems I have a problem, the Jap pro Mods do not use Fender screws. Used them and the heads are smaller and the screw is slightly smaller and the neck is rocking up and down with the fully tightened. So there are three sizes of screw, even four in ascendong order: Fender, Jap Pro Mod, USA Pro Mod and old Jackson/Charvel.

Oh....FFS. I don't want to have to dosh out $70 for a neckplate that comes with the screws. bollocks.

Comment

Just for info:

4.8mm = No.10
              4.2mm = No.8
              4.5mm = probably No. 9 if they exist.

I have found some anodized raised head countersunk self tapping No.10 screws which are the ones, but they are too short.

I wish the girls in my dreams were real. Why are they such a let down in real life?

Comment

Working...
              X