Headstock Logo Decal - Making your own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock Logo Decal - Making your own

I wanted to pass this along just in case someone would be in the same situation that I am.

I have a DX10D that I'm putting a bubinga burl veneer on the body and headstock. Since I'm doing the headstock, I want to put the Jackson logo back over the bubinga burl to make it look somewhat factory. I thought about trying to find a waterslide decal on the net to buy, but came across this site called 'Brands of the World' that has Vector graphics of just about any manufacturer/model you can think of, including Jackson and Charvel.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

Now I can go to my local Hobby Lobby, get some waterslide decal paper and print my own!

NOTE: I absolutely do not condone anyone doing this to make a guitar something it is not, such as counterfeiting. In my case, I am just trying to put the original logo back on the headstock..

I hope that this is okay to post, and if not, let me know and I'll ask to remove it...
    1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
    1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
    2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
    2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
    2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
    2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
    1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
    2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
    2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
    1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Hey now you can knock off $25 dollar necks on ebay as 'Original Charvels' for $450....

Seriously, I looked into this too, of you have a graphics programme you can just do them yourself and print on waterslide paper, only make sure the ink is UV stable is the guess. Saw what you did to that Jackson of yours. Seeing your approach and skills, rather than a waterslide, why not get a logo cut out of thin pearloid/celluloid sheet on a plotter/cutter and build it flat with flatted laquer?

I was wondering if it would be possible to DIY your own screenprint for rebadging Charvel necks with painted headstocks. I mean everything is available online, just wonder if 355 Mesh would be small enough to do the 'Made in USA' ditty.

If you haven't got a decent graphics programme, any printshop will draw you up and size a file from a logo for plotting.

I could go on, but I don't want to be extradited to the USA and sent to Guantanamo for eternity, even if the things I'm using are original to the logo and for my own use only.
    Last edited by ginsambo; 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
      Hey now you can knock off $25 dollar necks on ebay as 'Original Charvels' for $450....

Seriously, I looked into this too, of you have a graphics programme you can just do them yourself and print on waterslide paper, only make sure the ink is UV stable is the guess. Saw what you did to that Jackson of yours. Seeing your approach and skills, rather than a waterslide, why not get a logo cut out of thin pearloid/celluloid sheet on a plotter/cutter and build it flat with flatted laquer?

I was wondering if it would be possible to DIY your own screenprint for rebadging Charvel necks with painted headstocks. I mean everything is available online, just wonder if 355 Mesh would be small enough to do the 'Made in USA' ditty.

If you haven't got a decent graphics programme, any printshop will draw you up and size a file from a logo for plotting.

I could go on, but I don't want to be extradited to the USA and sent to Guantanamo for eternity, even if the things I'm using are original to the logo and for my own use only.
      I've got the software to do it, so no issue there. I am just going with a black logo, since I am using all black hardware, but I did think about doing the celluloid...

Comment

While you may be doing them for yourself, there are plenty of people out there who would not be so benevolent. I'd stick to talking about waterslide decals for this sort of thing, and let the professional fakers do their own research into getting those factory-looking results.

If you ever sold a relogoed item and stated it was relogoed, there's no guarantee the guy you sell it to will not try to pass it off as factory. For that reason alone, I'd change something about it so it was much harder for someone to pass off, like not include the Made in USA, or make it oversized, or give it a thick outline so it looks tragically sad. Or give the logo thin slices down the middle that look like scan lines. Maybe swap the a and c around.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          not include the Made in USA, or make it oversized, or give it a thick outline so it looks tragically sad. Or give the logo thin slices down the middle that look like scan lines. Maybe swap the a and c around.
          "How about NO, you crazy Dutch bastard?"

I'm with you on the criminal concerns though. However, I get the feeling the OP keeps guitars longer than you do!
          Last edited by RacerX; 08-11-2012, 06:09 PM.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Why keep them?

I printed out a fake waterslide Charvel logo some years ago to put on a Warmoth Strathead neck I had on a Model 2 body. I made it stupid-huge so you could tell it was a fake with one eye closed and from 30 feet away. Oddly enough, it didn't make it sound any better or any worse.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              While you may be doing them for yourself, there are plenty of people out there who would not be so benevolent. I'd stick to talking about waterslide decals for this sort of thing, and let the professional fakers do their own research into getting those factory-looking results.

If you ever sold a relogoed item and stated it was relogoed, there's no guarantee the guy you sell it to will not try to pass it off as factory. For that reason alone, I'd change something about it so it was much harder for someone to pass off, like not include the Made in USA, or make it oversized, or give it a thick outline so it looks tragically sad. Or give the logo thin slices down the middle that look like scan lines. Maybe swap the a and c around.
              I'm not making a decal to put on an aftermarket neck. I'm putting it on the original neck the guitar came with, which is labeled at the heel DX10D with the date... No made in the USA or anything like that. Just a Jackson logo on an original Jackson neck. I just want it to look good.. I'm not putting a logo on a warmoth, etc neck. I know this thing is just a DX10D, but I'm still going to do it right. That's like asking someone that has an original Fender Strat that is re-doing his original neck to change the logo to something like 'Bender' since he is putting the decal on.:dunno:

Not trying to be a butthead... I just don't see any issue with it..

Comment

^^^ I LOVE your idea of "Bender" on the headstock!!

Comment

if only you could fit "bite my shiny metal ass" onto a headstock...lol...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

diablomozart
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      ^^^ I LOVE your idea of "Bender" on the headstock!!
                      I've always been called Fester since my last name is Adams.. I thought about doing a Squire Strat like that 'Fester' in the Fender logo!

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
                        if only you could fit "bite my shiny metal ass" onto a headstock...lol...d.m.
                        My brother-in-law has screen printing equipment and I have a Hondo Explorere with a long banana headstock. It would fit... Hmmm...
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Although it looks a little cheesy I'm doing a refin on a Squier and I put my last name on the headstock in paint. I had the body painted but the 3 coats of poly underneath started to pop so I borrowed a heat gun and stripped it to the wood well almost anyways the poly sealer is a bitch to get off of there so it's staying. Cool Idea though silar. IIRC there is a place on the internet that makes logos on the cheap and I think I saw Jackson there. I can't for the life of me remember what the site was but it's out there.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                            Although it looks a little cheesy I'm doing a refin on a Squier and I put my last name on the headstock in paint. I had the body painted but the 3 coats of poly underneath started to pop so I borrowed a heat gun and stripped it to the wood well almost anyways the poly sealer is a bitch to get off of there so it's staying. Cool Idea though silar. IIRC there is a place on the internet that makes logos on the cheap and I think I saw Jackson there. I can't for the life of me remember what the site was but it's out there.
                            I'd rather do my own honestly. That way I know what I am getting, and I'm a stickler about doing things right.

Comment

I think you have to be extraly stupid to be fooled by a fake logo, there are so many other aspects of the guitar to consider. Making a fake just isn't worth it IMO. I suppose custom shop half colour/two tone logos are an exception, but then they would come under a non-factory refin anyway without paperwork, so what is the harm, if done to a professional standard.

Regarding necks, the only really expensive necks are the original waterslide ones. For me if a neck fits the radius specs, is quality quartersawn and oiled and looks right and nice, I don't care what logo is on the headstock, I am having it. $300 - $400 for a USA Jackson or Charvel neck as described is expensive but typical and no more than any other quality aftermarket neck. One of my issues is have a 2005 Charvel that needs a new neck, I see no harm in reapplying a Charvel logo on a painted headstock USA Style II neck, as they all came with pointies in 2005 and the neck plate is the dead give away. If anything rebadging the neck would probably be deterimental to the resale of the guitar.

I don't buy all this 'Fake' bullshit, its just more Hilary Clinton, anti-China rhetoric. Gibson and Fender only have themselves to blame for maximising profits or producing afforability by moving to China anyhow. No I believe that if any company is truely at the top of its game, and offers good customer relations, then it will always outshine as a brand, without copyright laws as people aspire to have the genuine, quality, ticketed original. I guess the only handicaps are government inflicted, like green issues and sustainability. I have seen the fakes, they don't even come close, if you want genuine quality then the woods, labour, machining tools and price will rocket, at that price tag I would want company authenticity.

Anyhow, its ironic that Charvel started as a copyright ripping off and hot rodding Fender, who in the CBS period, had become bloated and producing poor quality guitars, as the same with Gibson in that period.

Seriously, if you want a quality 'Fake' then you are talking over the odds of a genuine guitar. You are talking boutique quality. No company can survive for long by just ripping other companies off, although it is a healthy kick in the arse for monopolisation and resting on your laurels. Seriously I would rather have a boutique guitar than a modern, drilled out, lightweight Gibson as for me, it would represent more homage to the genuine article than a modern original. If Jackson go the same way at the high end, then they can prepare to be usurped. But I think like most successful companies they have all bases covered.

As for me I'm making a Bud Star clone...no custom shop will do it for me and I can't afford that custom quality even if they would. For me it's what it represents about childhood memories and that era anyhow. Will the second person that has it after me sell it on Ebay in 2021 as an original...probably...will they pas it off.....I seriously doubt it.

Collecting guitars is OK, but playing them is a lot better. Ultimately Silar is doing this for himself. There is no real resale value in it. But for me, this is what life is really about, acquiring new skills, putting your heart into something, wasting loads of cash unnecessarily along the way and creating something, rather than just earning loads of cash to blindly consume what you are fed, which isn't always what you want. It's eccentric and in the true spirit of hot rodding guitars.
                              Last edited by ginsambo; 08-12-2012, 01:33 AM.
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                              X