My Dimarzio Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dimarzio Journey

I want to throw a dimarzio into the bridge one of my charvel's, but am having trouble deciding which one.

My favorite pup is the Tone zone, but it feels like it doesn't cut through in the mix enough. I'm looking for a similar PU, but one that cuts a little better.

I've looked at the Vai PU's. The Evo doesn't seem tone-full, but it cuts through. The Evo 2 is just plain weird it has a little too much of a high mid response and sounds like a whining baby. The Breed has too many low mids, and almost sounds cool, but it's a little bland.

The Crunch Lab has cut and is dynamic, but for some reason it doesn't feel special. (I have one sitting in my parts bin)

The SuperD sounds nice, but I feel like it dampens my amp and is a little fuzzy. The Super 3 is too dark.

I'm interested in maybe the Norton, Air Zone and AT1, but I'm not sure which one cuts better and is dynamic like the TZ? or am I missing a PU that I haven't looked at?

Can anyone help guide me on my DiMarzio Journey?What has your experience been?

I only have experience with the Tone Zone and PAF Pro neck on my RR1. Love the PAF Pro, but the TZ is pretty meh overall. I'm 90% certain I'm sticking one of the new Duncan SH-16's in there to try. ( http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...h16_59_custom/ ) If I don't love it, then it will go to my known SH-5 Custom.

Maybe try a PAF Pro in the bridge. In the neck it's awesome.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Try the new Gravity Storms? Like an evolved Evo?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dimarzio-med...te_2011....mp4
      Last edited by Flatpicker; 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM. Reason: add linkage
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I really liked the Steves Special I had. I neve had a pickup seperate all the strings like that one...
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I'm really happy with the Dominion. I have a pair of Dominions in my SLS3 and they sound great. It is fairly mid-strong, tight, and very clear. Cutting through is definitely not a problem.

Comment

I know this isn't a dimarzio, but what about a Suhr Aldrich pup? I had a San Dimas with an evo 2 in there and wasn't feeling it. Too stiff and sterile to me.

Put in the Aldrich and I love it. More forgiving but tight, lots of string definition, and it cuts without being harsh. Lots of bottom end too.
            Last edited by alphadog808; 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

i always used the PAF pro in my dimarzio equipped guitars. it was great...not much gain, but it cut and had great tone.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've had good luck with the Steves Special, and I like the X2N as well, but as of late I've been using a D-sonic more and more, but, it seems to have more bottom end.
                "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                  I've had good luck with the Steves Special, and I like the X2N as well, but as of late I've been using a D-sonic more and more, but, it seems to have more bottom end.
                  Yeah im not a dimarzio fan but ive heard good things about the D-sonic and the deactivators?

Comment

If you're not set on a high-po pickup, try out a Mo Joe. I've been really digging these lately, Alnico V sweetness.

Comment

I have a D'Activator in the bridge of my SL2H and it cut through quite well. So far I have tried the obligatory JB, and the Suhr Aldrich in it with no satisfaction. Tried the D'Activator and it so far is the best sounding pup of the bunch...at least in that guitar. I think it will work quite well for you.
                      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                      ENGL Powerball II
                      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords