Jackson SLX with FR special problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SLX with FR special problem.

Hello! When I first got my Jackson SLX about 7 months ago, it stayed in tune fine, I didn't have any problems with the Floyd Rose Special what so ever and I didn't have to tune it that often because it stayed in tune almost all the time. Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore, I have to tune the guitar about 3 or 4 times when I play for maybe 2 hours, and it's almost always the low E string that goes out of tune, it goes flat.

I use Ernie Ball super slinky 09-42, mainly because they are a bit cheaper then a set D'addario's.

Does any one know why my tremolo wont stay in tune? It is level to the body, intonation is good, no major fretbuzz or anything like that. The guitar is great otherwise but it's killing me right now! The strings aren't even a month old.

First I would check for string slippage at the nut. Failing that, I would replace the strings and start over. If its usually only the low E, then that points to possibly a bad string, string slippage at the nut, or a clamping issue at the saddle. If the nut is good and holding tight, then replace the string and go from there.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Ditto on the above. Also check the saddle screws. Ive seen trems on several different brands come with the saddle screws just barely tight enough.
      My Toys:
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
      '94 Dinky HX in Black
      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Yes, check the nut first. The locking screw for the E/A string might be slightly stripped and you'll need to replace it.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I checked the nut, no string slipping there, however, the low E string is ''unwinding'' itself, basicly exposing the ''core'' of the string, I have no idea what it is called but it looks similar to this

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nylonwound.jpg

I hope you get the idea even though that's a nylon string.

It's only happned on the low E so far, nothing similar on the other wounded strings so I guess it was just a bad string?

Comment

Yep, bad string.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Check your floyds knife edges? these floyd specials use a "softer" metal and these knife edges may have become chewed up,that would cause the axe to go out

Comment

Yeah but the guitar isn't even a year old and I don't use the floyd THAT much, and wouldn't worn knife edges cause all the strings to go out of tune?

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna buy a new set of strings tomorrow and maybe clean the fretboard aswell so then I'll have a chance to look at the kinfe edges up-close!

Comment

I use Ernie ball strings and never have had this problem. But, on a couple of my guitars I do have to bend the plain string over before I put them into the saddle to keep them from coming out. Switched to the new Cobalts and knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble.
                  I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Sounds like a bad string but when you put on some new strings be sure to stretch them a few times until they hold tune then lock the nut down
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Food for thought. Make sure the pivot inserts aren't moving also. I've had to epoxy a few in to get them to stay put.
                      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARVEL_strat_81 View Post
                        Check your floyds knife edges? these floyd specials use a "softer" metal and these knife edges may have become chewed up,that would cause the axe to go out
                        No they most certainly do not. The saddles and sustain block are made of zinc. The baseplate is made of steel hardened to 55 Rockwell.
                        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Bad string.

Yes, the plate is made of steel and the saddles of zinc.

Comment

Indeed, bad string. It happens sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                              Food for thought. Make sure the pivot inserts aren't moving also. I've had to epoxy a few in to get them to stay put.
                              I just use PTFE teflon plumber's tape around the posts to take care of any moving that sometimes happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X