Pressing/Seating Frets into the Fret Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing/Seating Frets into the Fret Board

I recently purchased a 1988 Jackson and as I was cleaning the fret board I noticed that the base of the frets were not flush to the fret board. This is seen more on the first string side of the board. The frets are probably not radiused enough. The frets look too good so it has to be a refret.
    Should I try to press the frets in if the they have not been properly radiused? If so, what are some tips in pressing in the frets with common tools?
    Thanks!
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

You could be describing a few things, but it kinda sounds like you're describing some lifting on the treble side. Pix would be exponentially helpful.

Suily
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I really should have worn my glasses when examining the neck. It is also lifting on the bass side on a few of the frets. The nut had a pretty hefty shim on the treble side and I noticed when I was cleaning the fretboard with 0000 steel wool that the fibers were getting stuck on the edges of the frets. May not have anything to do with the frets but as I lightly sanded the board, some dark spots appeared on the board next to the frets. Looks like chunks of finger crud but it will not scape off with a pick. I took it to work and looked at it under a microscope they use while soldering small components and the dark spots are more in the grain of the wood.
      Anyway, here is a picture of the frets. Would a side view be better?

Thanks!
      fret lift.jpg

Comment

Oh Shit! That sucks.

Break out the crazy glue and get a fret seating clamp from stewmac.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Oh Shit! That sucks.

Break out the crazy glue and get a fret seating clamp from stewmac.com
          It's funny you mentioned the crazy glue. That's why I mentioned the staining at the base of the frets. I thought I may have uncovered were someone used an adhesive in an attempt to hold the frets down. Guess I need to look at StewMac to see if investing in some clamps and tools would be worth buying or just have someone else take care of it for me. Never had problems with frets before and may never need to replace any in the future. Then again I have never put much effort in setting up a guitar when it came to the frets.

Comment

Thin CA glue and clamps.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

CA glue?

Comment

Damn I hope that issue was disclosed when you bought it. That crap drives me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                  CA glue?
                  CA is Crazy Glue. It might be best (if you are purchasing at Stewmac) to get the thin glue so that it wicks into the fret slots. Do a google search on fret lifting. There should be some good info and maybe some youtubes.

Comment

Could be a couple of things...
                    1: By looking at the pic, I would say they were not radiused enough if any at all.
                    2: If the slots were too wide, either by build or they were gouged out when cleaning, the tangs may need to be widened with tang pliers.

Since they sit more flush at the center, I would say radius issue.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I will certainly do some searching tonight and see what my options are.
                      With the crazy glue, would it cause damage to the fretboard when removing them down the line (or if it does not work)?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                        I will certainly do some searching tonight and see what my options are.
                        With the crazy glue, would it cause damage to the fretboard when removing them down the line (or if it does not work)?
                        I'm not sure. You'd certainly have to heat the fret with a soldeing iron.

Your only other choice is a refret, correcting the radius issue and making sure the fret tangs are getting a good grip in the slots.

Comment

In all honesty, who cares what the cause was? Radius issue? No. I highly doubt that the fretwire was straight when it was put in. Besides, with nickel frets, you overbend them anyway, so when you push them in, they bite in better as they straighten out. IMO, it's possible (and most likely) that the slots might have been a bit too wide for what seems to be a refret, or the frets (when refretted) weren't glued in. I don't give a rat's ass what people say about glued frets being bad; it works (and Dan Erlewine agrees with me, so there!). Anyway, you've got lifted frets, which is easy as hell to fix. Do you have a drill press? If so, great. As mentioned, get some water thin CA glue, some applicator tips (goes over the top of the CA glue nozzle), some accelerator, and the fret press caul from stewmac. Then get some paste wax. If you don't have a drill press, find a buddy who does. Bring him beer. He'll let you use his drill press. WIN!

Ready? Great. Let's go.

Apply the paste wax on the fretboard along the sides of the fret. This will keep the CA glue from getting into the fretboard. With the applicator tip on your glue bottle, run a line of glue underneath the fret. This will wick into the fret slot. Now press the fret down with the drill press/fret press caul. Shoot the accelerator around the fret, and hold the fret down with the press. Hold it about 5-10 seconds. Move on to the next one. Lather, rinse, repeat. Remove the paste wax with naptha (lighter fluid), and use a fresh razor blade to gently scrape away any glue that may have wound up on the fretboard. Done.

This is a very, very, very easy fix. Don't sweat it. Seriously.

Sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

PS: The staining you mention at the end of the frets (I'm assuming you mean the ends of the fret slots being filled) is from a mixture of glue and maple dust. Unlike the darker woods, you can't mix maple dust with glue and have it blend in. Super common, and you'd rather have that then the fret tangs sticking out the side of the board.

Love always,
                            Sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully!

Comment

Working...
                              X